Identification: Trifoliate mystery plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Robby Doom, May 6, 2015.

1. Robby Doom

Robby Doom Member

I bought this plant from Walmart, of All places. Of course they couldn't do me a solid and simply label the plant. It was part of the O2-4-U project. Their website didn't have this plant listed, nor did the nursery that provided it. The tag says it grows to 12", needs lots of sun and that it's an indoor plant. So I assume it tropical or subtropical. Also, it has sort of light to dark green tiger stripe looking stems. Very cool really.
    Any help would be fantastic.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Schefflera elegantissima 'Castor', False Aralia.

3. Robby Doom

Robby Doom Member

Well, I threw that species in Google images and another species that looks just like it popped up: dizygotheca elegantissima.

Awesome, thank you. Finally have a name to face...lol, after endless online searches.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Dizygotheca elegantissima is a synonym of the plant's current name, Schefflera elegantissima.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Well, looks like there is still another taxonomic name for the plant, Plerandra elegantissima. Is three enough to confuse us, ordinary plant lovers?

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very unlikely it is a true Schefflera; that genus in its current very broad circumscription is known to be polyphyletic, but the splitting of the genus into several monophyletic genera hasn't been fully researched yet.

Edit - looks like Plerandra elegantissima is currently the best name: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12228-012-9260-2

Last edited: May 6, 2015