British Columbia: bleeding grape

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by linfred, May 3, 2015.

1. linfred

linfred Member

A week ago I accidently broke off a vine from one of our grapes. I didn't notice it bleeding for a couple of days but when I did I tried to spray a pruning tar on the break but it wouldn't stop. I then took a torch to it thinking I could burn the break until it dried up but again no luck. Today my daughter asked if I had a hose dripping and said no so she looked closer and there it was, the grape bleeding like a leaking hose. Once again I tried torching the break but again no luck! Next I took a piece of copper wire and tried wrapping it around the vine leading to the break thinking I could in essence strangle it until it stopped and again, no such luck! Is there a known method for stopping a grape from bleeding? On a site here somewhere I noticed someone suggested do nothing and eventually it will stop by itself? Obviously I don't seem to have the solution so is that all one can do- leave it alone and it will eventually seal itself off? The vine was completely broken off so I cut it square thinking the tar would adhere best. My next thought is to try putting a hose clamp around the branch and tighten it to see if that will stop it?

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

I agree about leaving it alone. The grapes I have pruned during the growing season when the sap is running eventually form a jelly like substance over the wound which then becomes a hard scab. We grow vines up to the second story of the house as a means of keeping the house cool and it is amazing how much the sap runs.
    Good luck.

3. linfred

linfred Member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!