West End / Stanley Park

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

Some lovely Takasago's we saw on Bill Stephens very informative walk on Sunday March 29.....in the rain,
    In the reverse photo, there may be an extra sepal, but the calyx tube may be hiding that 6th sepal.

Attached Files:

2. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

more photos from Bill Stephens walk on Sunday March 29. These are of the lovely Ojochin 'Big Lantern Cherry' or 'Large Paper Lantern Cherry at the Japanese WW1 memorial. This may be the only Ojochin in Vancouver. You can see the very long, narrow sepals on the reverse photo. The poor tree has been bolted together at the base to try to keep it from leaning to far and so far it seems to be working. At Douglas's blossom talk the other night he said this cherry would have come to Vancouver in the 1930's as gifts from the Mayors of Kobe and Yokohama. This cultivar dates to the 1600's in Japan.
    20150329 stanely park japanese WW1 memorial Ojochin lennie DSC09945.jpg 20150329 stanely park japanese WW1 memorial Ojochin lennie DSC09946.jpg 20150329 stanely park japanese WW1 memorial Ojochin lennie DSC09951.jpg 20150329 stanely park japanese WW1 memorial Ojochin lennie DSC09955.jpg

3. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

Wendy said these were Shirofugen, located close to the mini train in Stanely park. They are not out, yet but last Sunday they were quite nice in the rain. The entire tree had an overall reddish effect with the strong horizontal branching characteristic of Shriofugen.
    20150329 stanley park train Shrofugen lennie DSC09956.jpg 20150329 stanley park train Shrofugen lennie DSC09957.jpg 20150329 stanley park train Shrofugen lennie DSC09959.jpg

4. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The 'Shogetsu' in the lane behind London Drugs on Davie is close to being in full bloom today. Checking with Wendy, I do have the right name--I find it difficult to distinguish this cultivar from 'Shirofugen'. The defining feature seems to be 'Shogetsu' has emerging green leaves. It is a mystery to me why anyone would choose this site to plant three different trees in a row. There's a Korean Hill Cherry, then this 'Shogetsu' and furthest, towards Bidwell, a sweet cherry which might have spent some of its life with a graft making it some other cultivar. Just a little way towards Davie from the mini-park at the entrance to an apartment building are two 'Ichoyo' which are in prime condition today. I will search a photo if no-one else posts them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  5. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Our fearless leaders. A good time was had by all.
    Great walk in the West End on Easter Sunday.

Attached Files:

6. Sue Wagner

"There is no stranger under the cherry tree." It is in fact our chief scout, Wendy Cutler, who can't decide which is her favourite tree. Maybe today it was Gyoiko which is in peak ostentation with full blossoms, buds and a very delicate sprinkling of petals on the ground.

Attached Files:

7. Sue Wagner

The Autumnalis Rosea trees near Lost Lagoon are still producing flowers. It seems to have been happening since last October. The flowers may be small (and in this case out of focus because they are rather high) but they are delicate and pale pink. They are little stars on the branches.

8. Willard

The old Ojochin at the Japanese War Memorial in Stanley Park is hanging in there.

Attached Files:

9. Willard

Nice grove of Shirofugen trees east of the Easter Train in Stanley Park. Beginning to blossom.

Attached Files:

10. Sue Wagner

As Bute Street curves around onto Pendrell, there is an interesting Kanzan that appears to me to be grafted onto Birch Bark Cherry rootstock. The final picture shows the common rootstock which I believe is mazzard (Prunus avium) but of course I will be happy to be corrected.

I'd be interested in knowing where there are other trees grafted onto Birch Bark Cherry. I know of an Okame on 2nd Ave in Kits and I think there is some other cultivar on the walk just east of the Bayshore in Coal Harbour.

Attached Files:

11. Sue Wagner

Really, when A.E. Housman wrote "Loveliest of trees the cherry now" he must have envisioned this Shirofugen on Thurlow at Beach. Across the road in the park leading down to Sunset Beach are two more Shirofugen not quite as advanced in their blooming. Amazingly, around the corner, on the north side of Beach, one can still find flowers and buds (see the final picture) on the Accolade trees.

Attached Files:

12. Willard

Mature Avium Plena on south side of Pendrell, east of Denman.
    In full bloom.

Attached Files:

13. Willard

Grove of Shirofugen trees east of Easter Train in Stanley Park. At their peak.

Attached Files:

14. Sue Wagner

Don't think this late blooming Kanzan has been posted before. It's in the Davie Community Garden at the corner of Davie and Burrard. I've watched it and meant to get a picture for days and yesterday between rain showers and before all the petals fell, managed some shots of this young, carefully tended, lovely tree. (Today there were very few blossoms so these pictures were just in time....). By the way, the gardens there are impressive and the Rosemary blooms extraordinary right now

Attached Files:

15. Willard

Look WAY UP ! 20151023 ChilcoComox Accolade Willard 0359.JPG 20151023 ChilcoComox Accolade Willard 0398.jpg 20151023 ChilcoComox Accolade Willard 0417.jpg 20151023 ChilcoComox Accolade Willard_0412.jpg

wcutler likes this.
  16. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@Willard didn't tell the story of finding me out on the street and trying to convince me that the 'Accolade' cherries at the Chilco mini-park had flowers on them. So she dragged me over there (I was quite willing to see them, actually), and sure enough, there they were, just on one of the trees. I'm pretty sure this is the earliest I've seen 'Accolade' flowers. Usually we start seeing some blossoms in January, or maybe just a few in December; I think one year was November. I never would have thought to look for them now.

So I refused Shirley's offer to take me back where she'd picked me up, and as I was walking to my destination, I found myself only a block from Lost Lagoon and wondering about our Cherry of the 10th Month. Sure enough, there are a lot of flowers on one of the 'Autumnalis Rosea' trees, a version of 'Jugatsu-zakura' at Lost Lagoon.
    20151023_AutumnalisRosea_LostLagoon_Cutler_135248.jpg 20151023_AutumnalisRosea_LostLagoon_Cutler_135342.jpg 20151023_AutumnalisRosea_LostLagoon_Cutler_135400.jpg

And on one of the 'Autumnalis Rosea' at the Nicola mini-park at Pendrell.
    20151023_AutumnalisRosea_NicolaMiniPark_Cutler_162706.jpg 20151023_AutumnalisRosea_NicolaMiniPark_Cutler_163043.jpg

Not to be outdone, the 'Whitcomb' at Coal Harbour also has some flowers.
    20151023_Whitcomb_CoalHarbour_Cutler_140734.jpg 20151023_Whitcomb_CoalHarbour_Cutler_140748.jpg 20151023_Whitcomb_CoalHarbour_Cutler_141008.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Willard likes this.
  17. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

They are Accolade, aren't they? Does Accolade bloom in autumn in Vancouver, too?
    If they are Accolade, it’s a great discovery.
    It is said that accolade blooms twice a year in Japan, in spring and in autumn.
    But unfortunately I haven't seen autumn Accolade in Japan yet.
    There aren't so many Accolades in Tokyo. I found two trees on website. I'll check them tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
    Willard likes this.
  18. Willard

Yes, they are Accolade. Wendy Cutler and I both saw the flowers today. It was quite exciting.

19. Willard

Autumnalis Rosea starting to bloom on south side of Pacific between Bute and Jervis.

Attached Files:

20. Willard

Two more Autumnalis Rosea trees blooming on north side of Pacific, west of Burrard.

21. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  22. Willard

Whitcomb in bloom and bud at Coal Harbour. A rainy January day in Vancouver...with cherry blossoms.

Attached Files:

23. Willard

Nice pair of Whitcomb trees on Nicola Street north of Beach Avenue

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  24. Willard

Whitcombs at Nicola Mini Park

Attached Files:

25. Willard

What's left of a magnificent old Whitcomb on northeast corner of Nelson and Bute.

Attached Files: