rhododendrum no flowers

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by tosh, Apr 18, 2015.

1. tosh

tosh Active Member

Can anyone tell me why my rhododendrons are setting leaves instead of flowers ,they get buds ,but this last week 3 out of 5 trees have gone to leaf instead of flowers?
    They were all flowering up until last year when they started this . Do they need fertilizer are they missing something? What's happening?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Have you cut them back? The buds are set at the ends of the shoots the summer before they open.

3. tosh

tosh Active Member

Hi
    No ,we haven't cut them back at all we dead headed them after the flowers died ,but we do that every year ,It is just this last 2 years they seem to be going to leaf ,not flowers ,but not all of them! The pictures are in June 2009 as you can see we have quite a few of them and at that point they all flowered. the other picture is 2014 and only half flowered.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The shrubs look quite pale and sparse - that will be your problem, they aren't doing well enough to mount a continued, annual heavy bloom.

5. tosh

tosh Active Member

OK thanks ,we just bought Rhodo food ,hopefully that will help them , they were dug up and thrown out by a neighbour around 7 years ago and we planted them the same day and they have bloomed very nicely until 2 years ago. Didn't realise they needed food till we saw a box in the garden centre.

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    from what i can see in your photos - it appears that they are very much exposed to light (sun) as well - which in certain cases is not ideal for a rhodo (think of it as a woodland plant, esp those with larger leaves) - so they might need some tall shady friends nearby - like vine maples (they can take our dry summer once established) and will look right in your rustic looking (casual design) forest garden.

slow, even watering (drip? I use those soaker hoses readily avail at the hardware or building supply - install them now before too many plants are fully leafed out this spring)

also - their roots are shallow - don't over mulch.

and - when you apply the food (now is the time, esp a heavy rain day) - sprinkle less than you think you need around the DRIP LINE of the shrub. When you read the instructions on your food you just bought - when they say a certain amount - that is what you should follow. I have an old set of stainless steel kitchen "dry measure" cups that I use for garden only so I know I'm feeding properly. (easy to find at the rummage store)

if finally - the plants don't look right - i have rejuvenated using the 1/3 pruning guideline - over 3 yrs. That said - pruning won't fix the wrong location for this plant if that is part of the initial problem it's having.

7. tosh

tosh Active Member

Thanks we'll take heed of all your comments ,unfortunately they were dragged out of the ground on a hot day in August and left in the sun till we were asked if we wanted them .The location was the only available one for them ,we dug them in straight away and only lost 1 out of the 19. We will feed them on Sunday and prune 1/3 in November?

8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    http://www.finegardening.com/3-ways-prune-rhododendrons

the link above shows you some basic guidelines from Fine Gardening re: rejuvenation pruning - that said - I like the 1/3 rule - and I notice my neighbor, a skilled gardener, follows same rule for a some rhodos that get car traffic and such nearby - and they came back perfectly (not sure which rhodo they are ... for sure the smaller ones that grow about 5 x 5 feet (wide and tall).

Have you ever been to see the lovely Milner gardens in Qualicum? The setting will give you a good idea of what rhodo's need to thrive. https://www2.viu.ca/milnergardens/

ps - edit to add - I meant also to say that when you pick out the dead flowerheads - I never do but some people do - be very careful because in many cases, the next-year bloom is already forming a tiny bud in there - so be aware if and when you do this chore.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015