Victoria-Fraserview

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 19, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The Rosedale tree is 'Accolade'. The Bonaccord one is the same as your first one, 'Beni-shidare', but an outstanding example, what they're supposed to look like, where it has not been pruned to look like an umbrella. That is a great find.

2. wcutler

I don't know what the cultivar of the original tree is, but what is growing next to it is what it is grafted onto, which in this case seems to be 'Colt'. The 'Colt' part should be fragrant. It is a dwarfing rootstock, used to keep trees from growing too large. Later, when 'Kanzan' are out, you will see several of those trees with areas of single white flowers from the Prunus avium rootstock that used to be the one most often used. Avium trees flower later than 'Colt', so you're not seeing those yet.

3. tao

tao Active Member

Every time I walk the same route I seem to find another cherry tree I haven't noticed before. Just next door to the big Beni-Shidare on Burquitlam at Bonaccord, there looks like to be another similar looking one (or a different cultivar? It is blooming later than the big one). I couldn't take a good close-up picture, but this is what it looks like from the outside.

Attached Files:

4. tao

tao Active Member

There are three young trees on Harrison Drive, two of them south of Burquitlam and one at Rosedale. They look like Akebono, but I am not sure as the flowers seem to be more pink. The first two pictures are of the tree on the southeast side of Harrison south of Burquitlam, and the next two pictures are of the tree on the northwest side.

The trunk of the tree on Harrison at Rosedale also looks very different from the other Akebono trees on the same street. Moreover, some of the flowers were still more or less intact after they have fallen to the ground. The leaves have started to come out of this tree already.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  5. wcutler

The flowers are hard to see, but I think they look like double flowers (more than five petals), so the tree would be 'Yae-beni-shidare', the double weeping pink (what the name means), and it does bloom almost a week later than the 'Beni-shidare'.

6. wcutler

I am not sure of photos 4 and 5. The others look like 'Akebono' and 4/5 might be as well. It would help to see the flowers on the tree close up. And as the flowers get old, the distinction between 'Akebono' and 'Somei-yoshino' gets less clear. Check out the photos for those two cultivars in the Ornamental Cherries book.

The young ones look ungrafted. The trunks on the older trees are probably not 'Akebono' trunks - they are probably Prunus avium trunks that the 'Akebono' are grafted onto.

7. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

The nine young Tai-haku trees in the yard of Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith Elementary, north side of E. 54/west of Elliott, are starting their bloom at March 22, 2015.

Attached Files:

8. tao

tao Active Member

I accidentally got into the yard of Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith school in the rainy afternoon and found the Tai-haku trees but Anne beat me to it! Her photos are way nicer than mine. I also took pictures of the blooming Shirotae on the other side of the school, facing east on Elliot Street.

Attached Files:

9. tao

tao Active Member

There are seven young trees on the south sidewalk of Hoylake Ave, from Muirfield Drive to the basketball court just past Ashburn Ave. They look like Ranchos.

Attached Files:

10. tao

tao Active Member

Found a few trees around the neighbourhood, they look like Tai-haku but I am not sure. Some of the flowers don't look at big. The trees on Nanaimo Street look more like Tai-haku, the other ones definitely have smaller flowers (or they look small because the branches are too high, my camera can't zoom in too well).

Also included is a photo of the Kanzan trees on the east sidewalk of Nanaimo Street from E.49th Ave to E.48th Ave.

The possible Tai-Haiku trees are at:
    East side of Nanaimo Street just south of Bonnyvale Ave (backyard)
    East sidewalk of Nanaimo Street just south of E. 48th Ave
    West side of Nanaimo Street at Hoylake Ave (yard of the house at the lane)
    East side of Sterling Street just north of E. 45th Ave
    West side of Elliot Street just south of E. 45th Ave (backyard of the house at the SW corner)

Attached Files:

11. wcutler

Tao, these are all sweet cherries, also called mazzard cherries, Prunus avium, but not the fancy double-flowered cultivar. In photos 14, 18 and 20 you can see the curled back sepals that are characteristic of avium cherries. When the double-flowered cultivar comes out (avium 'Plena'), you will see the same thing with the sepals. As you said, the flowers are small, about half the size of 'Tai-haku' flowers. Some of your photos have blossoms just opening, where the sepals have not curled back yet, so that could have been confusing.

The leaf edges are not visible yet - they are distinctive too. Sort of minutely scalloped but very uneven. When they open, take one to a 'Tai-haku' tree (whose leaves will have probably turned from bronze to green) to compare them.

12. tao

tao Active Member

There are two beautiful trees that look like 'Ukon' on the north sidewalk of E. 47th Ave west of Nanaimo Street. The colour can vary quite a bit depending on the angle of the light. When I first saw them, they looked like having a yellowish tint. But when I looked from another angle, they appeared to be very green.

The pictures were taken three days ago on April 1, I am behind in posting them.

Attached Files:

13. tao

tao Active Member

The two trees on St. Margarets north of E. 45th Ave indicated as 'Ichiyo' on the map (see post #38) are probably 'Ukon.' Here are the pictures of them at full bloom on April 1.

Attached Files:

14. wcutler

Good job, Tao! At least I hedged in the original posting. I've changed the name on the map and changed the links to link to your posting. It took two years, but I'm glad we got that fixed up. Thanks.

15. tao

tao Active Member

The 'Ichiyo' trees on Vivian Drive across from the Fraserview golf course were blooming beautifully on April 1. There is a young 'Kanzan' in between the line of 'Ichiyo', and the 'Shirotae' to the south of the 'Ichiyo' trees started to bloom out but still looked good.

16. tao

tao Active Member

Berkeley Street from E. 41st Ave to E. 45th Ave is lined with 'Kanzan' trees.

I found a 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' in the front yard of a house on the north side of E. 53rd Ave east of Elliot, but I only had enough battery left on my phone to take three photos. The next day I went back to take more pictures and found that there are actually two trees, one of each side of the house.

On the north side of E. 51st Ave, east of Wales, is another house with a 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' in the front yard. It looks like the tree on the other side (west side) of the front yard is a 'Beni-shidare.'

17. tao

tao Active Member

While driving on Knight Street, Wendy saw two avium 'Plena' trees on E.59th Ave just east of Knight and I went to take some pictures yesterday morning. They are two big trees on the north sidewalk. The blossoms are quite high, but there are plenty on the ground to prove that they are indeed double blossoms.

One block east near Borden Street, on the south sidewalk there is a 'Takasago' that has past its prime.

Attached Files:

18. tao

tao Active Member

At the southwest corner of E. 61st Ave and Jasper Crescent, there are two 'Ama-no-gawa,' one on E.61st Ave and the other on Jasper Crescent. One tree has more pink blossoms and the other's blossoms appear to be more white.

I walked around the property to see if there are more cherry trees and got a good scare by the guard dog that dashed out, barked fiercely and had half its body outside the low fence. The house across the lane also had a scary sign up. Be careful when checking out the blossoms on this block!

Attached Files:

19. tao

tao Active Member

The house on the southeast corner of Victoria and E.61st Ave has a 'Shiro-fugen' along the side closest to Victoria Drive and a 'Kanzan' on the other (west) side closest to the lane.

Attached Files:

20. tao

tao Active Member

There is a big beautiful 'Kanzan' on the front lawn of the property at the southwest corner of Scarboro Ave and Fraserview Drive.

Across the street at David Oppenheimer Elementary School, other than the 'Shiro-fugen' at the front entrance reported last year, there is also another 'Shiro-fugen' at the back of the school near the playground area. The nearest intersection is Nanaimo Street and E.61st Ave.

Back over on Fraserview Drive, to the south of Ancaster Crescent, there is a house by a lane that has a 'Kiku-shidare-zakara' by its front door.

21. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Beautiful Ito-kukuri in afternoon light. On 54th, east of Wales.
    Spell-binding.

20160407 E54thWales Ito-kukuri Willard_7597.JPG 20160407 E54Wales Ito-kukuri Willard_0156.jpg 20160407 E54Wales Ito-kukuri Willard_7601.JPG

22. Willard

Ichiyo on Vivian Drive across from Fraserview Golf Course, near the end of bloom on April 7, 2016.

20160407 VivianDr Ichiyo Willard _0121.jpg 20160407 VivianDr Ichiyo Willard_0129.jpg 20160407 VivianDr Ichiyo Willard_0131.jpg

23. Willard

24. wcutler

A bright spot on a rainy day. There are a few 'Somei-yoshino' in full bloom on either side of Stirling on the south side of 41st Avenue.
    20170408_41stStirling_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_171203.jpg 20170408_41stStirling_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_171233.jpg

25. Willard

Outstanding double row of Kanzan on Argyle,north of 47th for several blocks.

20170426 ArgyleN45 Kanzan Willard_0431.JPG 20170426 ArgyleN45 Kanzan Willard_0434.JPG 20170426 ArgyleN45 Kanzan Willard_0437.jpg 20170426 ArgyleN45 Kanzan Willard_0441.JPG