Identification: Jewelled Polypore

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mikephillips, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

A fair-size crust seen ... actually about two months ago, but it is still producing .... about 20 cm on a big cherry log, still relatively unrotten but lots of fungal action. The main attraction is the incredible variety of colours and refractive possibilities of the many (100's?) drops it is exuding, each a little jewel.

It was slowing down a little but with the recent big rains has blossomed magnificently again. Pics are from January, Southern Vancouver Island, the third one is five days after the first, the second is the awning if it might help with id.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lovely!
    Is the pore surface grey-toned or is that just an effect of low light? I ask as I'm always hoping Cerrena will turn up somewhere, though the top-side might not match that.
    frog

3. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Cerrena doesn't seem to be described much and what I've looked at is a mixed bag of matches and not but it's certainly possible and the pore surface was definitely grey, not just a low-light effect. I try always for the best lighting i can manage, sans flash.

4. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Oops, don't know why that posted prematurely. Anyway, Michael Kuo allows that the cap may be absent in specimens growing on undersides of logs, so this guy's small caps can qualify on that basis. No green algae on the caps but also not prohibitive. Pore description fits and looks right. I have to remember to look for wasp holes in the wood next time I go around there. It is sort of finished by now but was good for over two months.

I am most fascinated by the guttation, which is not discussed much in fungal id sites. I guess it's not really so diagnostic?

Thanks!

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yah I've been having a hard time finding info on guttation as well. It does seem to relate more to weather conditions than specific species. Beautiful regardless :-)