Sick Marginata

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by John3462, Mar 30, 2015.

1. John3462

John3462 New Member

I was given a previously healthy Marginata a couple years ago, 4-5 feet tall with 7 or 8 branches sprouting from a main stalk that is about 2" in diameter. It sits in a pot that is about 18" tall and 2' around. We have moved the plant around to various locations in the house, and the primary concern has always been finding the right amount of water to deliver.

Recently, I have noticed that several of the stalks that used to be about 3/4" around, have shriveled and shrunk to about half or less of their previous diameter, and feel somewhat crinkly, although the leaves are still green. The plant was right above a heat register, so I moved it away from that, but it has not responded right away. I am also noticing that the main trunk is wet for about the first 2" above the soil level.

I have not re-potted the plant since we have had it, so I can't say if it is root-bound or not. Do I need to re-pot it? Put it outside and let it dry out? Cut back the shriveled parts and let it save its strength for the other more vibrant stalks? All of the above?

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Sounds like overwatering whats the drainage like?

3. John3462

John3462 New Member

I've actually never even worried about drainage. It's in a plastic pot that sits inside a nicer ceramic one.

4. shastadaisyy2

shastadaisyy2 New Member

Maybe you could add some pebbles to the bottom of the ceramic plant so it will drain better.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
  6. T311

T311 Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016