Tree replacements

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Miry, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Miry

Miry Member

I had a big cedar cut down so I'm replacing it with trees and bushes.
    I also had the stump removed and there is a lot of sawdust. Should I remove all of this?

I am a bird lover so my planting is around this. To replace the cedar I have planted one Serbian spruce, two Chamaecy paris obtuse and I have ordered a Himalayan birch and Acer japonicum maple. It is hard to believe that I have taken one tree down to be replaced by five trees.

Any suggestions for a dwarf maple to be grown in large porcelain pot?

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    how big (maple in pot)?

i like native plantings - and i have had great success with vine maple in large pots

acer circinatum

they look nice in winter (twigs) - and pretty leaves in spring - summer ---- then some years some colorful foliage in the autumn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_circinatum

3. Miry

Miry Member

Thank you!

It is a very large porcelain pot.

4. Georgia Strait

with drainage holes at the bottom, I hope? I notice some pots these days do not have holes in the bottom.

5. Miry

Miry Member

Yikes, I don't know and it is filled with good soil!

6. Georgia Strait

ok - next time a nice strong helper is over - ask them to help you tilt it up - use a mirror and look underneath.

also - i suggest you raise it up on some bricks to keep the air circulating and drainage going - that is how I had good success with my large potted Vine Maple

I would estimate that my pot that i used was big enough to fit an entire bale of sunshine mix potting mix. --- or maybe about 3 bags of sea soil potting mix - when we moved I took the acer out of the pot - and put it in garden - it is clearly a bit "stunted" but I like the look.

EDIT - I meant to add that the overall size of the vine maple is approx 6 feet tall with a width of about 4 feet - that's the one I had in the big pot I describe above

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  7. Miry

Miry Member

That's a good idea about having a strong person check it out. The guys will be doing some work here and they are always so helpful. I do have it sitting on 4 blocks so that is good.

Can you send me a picture of your maple vine?

That way it will give me a good idea of what it looks like.

Thanks

8. Georgia Strait

hi Miry - I don't have any photos handy - however, I estimate the potted one grew to about 5 (five) feet tall - and about 4 feet wide. It is open and branched (twiggy) not solid like a laurel.

this website here shows a good diagram (sketch) of what the branches look like -

and lots of photos of the leaves and the approximate seasonal colors (bright green in spring / turns reddish in to fall / none in winter.)

it's handy small tree - and the local garden birds (towhee etc) like to hop about in it and under it.

http://www.nwplants.com/business/catalog/ace_cir.html

9. Miry

Miry Member

Thanks. The pictures are lovely!!!!