A South East Asian Tropical Plant Needs ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cicakcobing, Feb 25, 2015.

1. cicakcobing

cicakcobing New Member

Hi guys,

I need help in identifying this plant that's found in Malaysia. I have been told that it's simply called "Snake" plant, but I'm unable to find anything like it under that name. It is definitely not Clinacanthus Nutans (commonly known as "Sabah Snake" grass, also found locally) or Andrographis Paniculata (locally known as "Snake's Bile" plant). It can grow quite tall about over 6 ft but I'm not sure how much taller it can go on. I won't be surprised if the name "Snake" plant is not even the correct name. Wonder what's with the obsession of snakes with the local folk here. :P

Thanks for checking it out

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Leea...?

I can well understand the obsession with snakes! A friend of mine who lives in Thailand frequently reports his cats finding snakes, often big ones---and often poisonous as well---lurking in the flowerbeds!

Welcome to the Forum!

3. cicakcobing

cicakcobing New Member

well, it's kind of true if you're living outside of the city..
    thanks for the welcome.. :)

4. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

It seems a good match for Brucea javanica in family Simaroubaceae. A significant feature is the 2-3 fruits developing from separate carpels in the one flower.

The only reference I could find to its Malay name was here - http://www.amdi.usm.edu.my/meladapahit - though with B. javanica treated as synonym of B. amarissima, which may not be correct (see http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-2683970 0

The Malay names cited appear to have no connection to snakes.

5. cicakcobing

cicakcobing New Member

thanks Tony Rodd! from what i can see in the links, you got it spot on.. :)
    it makes a lot of sense with its name "melada pahit / lada pahit" which literally means "bitter pepper".. the fruit does look a lot like pepper and it turns blackish when it is ripe.. it is very bitter when consumed too..