LF Dwarf fruit or citrus in Calgary

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KristaX, Jan 31, 2015.

1. KristaX

KristaX New Member

Hello this is my first post!
    I am looking for a couple dwarf fruit trees or bushes that would be suitable for container growing (because I can get stuff that can't be grown outside in Calgary and because I plan on moving in the next year or so)
    Specifically looking for:
    - a Mandarin (or other thin-skinned orange)
    - a Nectarine
    - a Starfruit
    - a Miraclefruit
    - a Lychee

Could also pick up a lemon, lime, kumquat, goji or kiwi if they are cheap and easy to get.
    Looking for any of these plants locally as I want to get them ASAP. But would also consider online order if it is not too expensive. I also have an address I can send items to Montana for pick up, but would also need the phytosanitary to bring it over the border. But would prefer plants I can get right away.

I read that citrus can be found around Chinese new year, but I don't know where to look... I tried calling T&T marketplace, but I don't think he understood what I was asking for as he told me the price for a box of mandarins.
    I called all the local greenhouses and found a tangerine, but would like a few different fruit plants. I also have some dragon fruit plants and a banana plant coming from Quebec in a few months. But want some new plants now!

Anyone seen any of these container fruit trees/plants locally in Calgary?
    Or anyone know of a good mail order company that would ship to Calgary (or montana with the phyto docs) in the next couple of weeks?
    (or in spring if I can't find anything by then)

Thanks for your time!
    Krista

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Citrus trees can be found at Home Depot in the Vancouver area so you might check with the ones in your area. In the past they've also brought in trees for the Chinese New Year. For Canadian mail order, check out Flora Exotica. They carry a variety of exotic fruits, including citrus. I have not dealt with them before but they seem to have a good reputation.

Edit:
    Citrus is also available at Fruit Trees and More.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. KristaX

KristaX New Member

Thanks! I emailed Flora exotica and Fruit trees and more to see what they have in stock, but they probably won't ship for another couple of months. So I am still looking locally too. So if anyone in calgary sees anything... let me know!
    KX

4. bonsaipf

bonsaipf Active Member

Yeah, it's a really bad time to be looking for these now, Very few companies will ship live plants at this time of year. It's just too risky. However, as was said earlier, Home depot is a great place to find the sort of things that you are looking for. Last summer I saw them offering some really great stuff, even including Australian finger limes!! I would wait if you can rather than risk losing the plants in the mail.

5. addypalmer

addypalmer Active Member

Do you have a solarium or greenhouse, Star Fruit, lychee and miracle fruit have way more of a tropical climatic requirement while nectarine, and mandarins need cold spells for the fruit to ripen (mandarin) and for blossoms to occur (nectarines), nectarines should be grown outside as well. Do you have experience growing exotic fruits indoors because even the experts have hard times, the only guy I know who grows exotic fruit is in Penticton and who has an old pool hes partially filled and put a greenhouse over top and heats it in the winter (all with a southerly aspect for best light). Lots of plants hes tried wont really succeed due to the reduced amount of light we receive being so far north.