Grafting Japanese Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Dec 29, 2014.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is a nice 5 minute video on grafting Japanese Maples. (P. Allen Smith Classics) This video offers clear video that is professionally shot and edited, detailed step by step with clear explanations and close up shots of critical parts of the demonstration, and some helpful tips to increase success in grafting. The demo starts at 1:20-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc-nMc8wTI8

I realize there are many videos on grafting, but I find this one offers great clarity and quality video that so many others are lacking.

My only critique is that they do not touch on the importance of sterilizing.

2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Looks like a summer time graft?? With dormant scion. I have no experience at all with grafting. But I do have about 25 root stocks getting ready.

3. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Happy New Year to everyone :)
    Very interesting JT and a bit of an eye opener for me.I have always adjusted the depth of the rootstock cut to match the cambiums on both sides of the scion.This often requires careful knifework and takes a bit of time.I've often wondered how propagators manage to graft 1000s of plants economically as my way would take too long.
    Clearly from the video he is just inserting the scion to a depth where the cambiums match just at the top of both cuts with no attempt to match the sides,a lot quicker and requiring less accuracy when cutting.
    I will bear this in mind this year and incorporate this idea if necessary...cheers

4. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Probably a april time graft ; with dormant stems (keeped 2 or 3 month in sand before grafting), i guess.

Happy new year.

5. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

Thank you for the video. What cutting tool do you all recommend for a beginner? What do you use? Thank you very much for any advice. Mary

6. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Just a big strong cutter with longs new blades .

7. campbtl

campbtl Member Maple Society

Here's a suggestion: I wrap my thumb with 1 round of Johnson & Johnson's heavy duty adhesive bandage tape. It comes on a roll and is about .5" wide. It protects my thumb when pulling my knife (or any other blade) into it for making the scion. Maybe I'm clumsier than most, but without it I end up with shallow and sometimes deeper cuts all along the pad of my thumb. If carefully placed, it stops the blade and there's no loss of flexibility.

8. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Good suggestion though still not enough protection for me ha ha.I use a craft knife with those razor sharp disposable blades...I simply haven't got the guts to use these blades free hand....so I always lay my scion flat on the edge of a chopping board.make the cut then turn it over for the other side...never damages the scion :)

9. campbtl

campbtl Member Maple Society

I use a piece of oak for a 'cutting' board but I still cut towards my thumb. I strongly urge any new grafter to protect their fingers.

10. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting video. I agree they were pretty lax on the sterile technique.