palm tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by cher, Feb 2, 2006.

1. cher

cher Member

My husband bought 2 palm trees a year ago.We brought them in for the winter. The one is doing great.However the 2nd one ,the leaves turned brown and most have fallen off.Is it possible to cut the palm back and new growth will start?

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

What kind of palms are they? Where do you keep them (light, humidity, temp)? How much and how often do you water?

3. cher

cher Member

I'm not sure what type of palm. They are in direct light in the morning but nothing in the afternoon.We water when the dirt is dry about 1 inch down(approx 2-3 weeks).As I said before the one is doing great its the other one.I was told you could cut back and new growth would start?

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Cher, it really matters as to what they are - can you post a picture? There are a lot of things sold as 'Palms" that aren't palms, and that can be cut back, but if you cut back a real palm they die. That's why it matters.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

If you don't know what kind they are, post a picture, there are some people who are really good at giving IDs to plant on these forums (I'm not one of them). That way we can give you a more precise answer.
    Carol Ja

6. cher

cher Member

My husband will try and post a picture of the "palm " .I have been searching pictures online and I think it might be a "Yucca gloriosa"??thanks

7. Rima

Rima Active Member

Well, Yuccas aren't palms, they're succulents and need a lot more light than it's apparently getting, and quite dry conditions, but if your other one's doing well, I'm not sure I can tell you a lot anyhow. Be glad to see the picture though.

8. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, I really goofed! I should not have said yuccas weren't palms - was thinking about something else entirely. Sorry!

9. cher

cher Member

update...we found out our "palm" is a Cordyline australis ...does this help?thanks

10. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, well care info. is so general ('Full to partial sun') etc. that it's hard to say what's wrong because the other one is apparently o.k. - you're in the best position to know what may have changed for it... is it in less light than the 'good' one? Is it watered differently? Have you checked for spider mites or other bugs? I'm sorry not to be able to give you better answers, but I'm afraid I can't.

11. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Any number of things could have contributed to the decline of your Cordyline. Nice thing is they are cheap or so they should be, and grow fast. Remove all the dead plant material and remove it from it's pot. Inspect the root system to see that it's recieving adequate water throughout the roots, and that there are no insects present.

Here's some outside a local area restaurant on Vancouver Island.

Attached Files:

12. oscar

oscar Active Member

over watering is the most likely cause of death on a cordyline australis, go and give it a little wiggle........the plant that is ;) if it rolls around in the pot, chances are the roots have gone, if its firm in the pot and the main stem is firm, then the cause of its decline is a little harder to determin.....anyway if it is firm and the roots are ok (tip it out the pot, roots should be bright white) then yes you can cut it back in the hopes it will regenerate.

13. cher

cher Member

update to our "palms" we cut them back and they have finally started to sprout new growth(after 2 months and no watering)!!!Thanks for all the help with our problem.