Weather (cold) resistance of a pencil cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by SeppiNo2, Jan 27, 2006.

1. SeppiNo2

SeppiNo2 Member

I have a very large pencil catus (about 5' tall) in a large pot. It has thrived in an area shared, and partly protected by, a shrub. While we do not get very many freezing night here in the Houston area, I am wondering if I could plant it in the ground and only cover it when a hard freeze is expected. Generally, we consider a hard freeze when the temperature goes below 30 degrees F for 4 hours or more. Does anyone have experience with these plants in the ground in cold weather conditions?

I appreciate all of the information I have gotten here because I also had questions about propagating. But will now just take cuttings and plant them in damp soil in pot for starters.

2. cactologist

cactologist Member

I grew this plant outdoors in Phoenix and it survived very short periods down to 28 degrees F with no protection (though some of the smallest stems died but quickly grew back).

Tracy

3. SeppiNo2

SeppiNo2 Member

Afternoon Tracy!

Thanks so much for your input. Will give me some guidance as to how cold to let it get before I have to either cover them or put them in the garage. Have been putting them in the garage when the weather is expected to get to 32 as a short-lived low temp.

Joe

4. Net

Net Member

Hello I am net and also live in houston,texas and I have an even larger pencil catus and I have it in a one gallon pot and it has two huge stalks in it, I find that the smaller the pot the larger the plant so I planted the pot and all in the ground and really dont lose that much in the winter months, but cover mine with just a sheet so that it can breath, and not draw a lot of moisture like with plastic. I have recently had to cut my Pencil Catus back because the limbs were so large and full that the weight of them were bending the branches, and to transplant i just get some sandy dirt(clay) and stick in down in it dirt. They do like direct sun and they do not require a lot of care, except when you have to trim the branches from the weight. Mine seem to love the rain water and that is pretty much the only time i water them..very low maintance.
    well I hope this is helpful. Net