Iso: Medicinal Plants w/ relaxing effect like cannabis

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by High Etiquette 009, Jul 25, 2014.

1. High Etiquette 009

High Etiquette 009 New Member

Greetings friends,

I Just have signed up after finding these forums and wanted to say hello as well as ask my question.

I had to give up smoking cannabis a while back (4-5 years ago). What I would like to find is a good dried flower/leaf/herb that I can find online or in the local stores that can be smoked safely without those strange bad effects you get from some of the herbs (I have tried raspberry leaves & chamomile flowers). I did not like either of these.

I really miss smoking cannabis because it totally relieved my mind. Is there anything out there that I could try and smoke that will be relaxing? I also suffer from stomach tremors or what one may call spasms.

Thanks in advance

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Try calling some of your local Naturopathic Doctors. They practice alternative medicine and may be able to give you some help. If you can't get help locally (I assume your in New York) try calling one in either Colorado or Washington State. They are probably learning more than they ever wanted to know about cannabis. Welcome to the forum. barb

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  3. High Etiquette 009

Thanks for your reply... I have a couple of questions regarding your post.

Would what you suggested about calling a dispensary or DR in Colorado or Washington mean I would have to fly there to get something from them? Do you think they have anything that would be "legal" to ship here? Yes, I am in New York btw.

Thanks...

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Check with a local Naturopathic Dr. in your area first. They all have about the same training and a local Dr. would know more about local plants for you than one either in Colo. or Wash. Calling outside your area is a last resort and then... only for information to be applied in your area. Each state has its own laws about transporting any kind of plant and that can be a real mess, so stay local for any purchases and something that is legal. barb

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

It's not scientific or medical, some of the listings are for illegal and or potentially poisonous substances, it's all anecdotal, and I wouldn't use it as anything more than a step toward further research, but https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp_list.shtml is a good place to find the sort of list you're looking for, with associated user reports. It runs the gamut, but there are a great many legal plants you might not have thought of, and might help steer you in the right direction.

6. High Etiquette 009

Thanks for replies.

I purchased some Wild Dagga Flowers, Damiana, and California Poppy from Ebay from a reputable dealer. It sounds like they may have some beneficial relaxing properties when consumed.

Cheers

7. High Etiquette 009

UPDATE: The things I purchased had no good effect. I liked the smell of the fresh damiana, but that was about it.

If anyone has any other ideas please post here

8. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

hi,

i have not tried this myself, but valerian is said to be a good relaxant and to reduce anxiety. There is some scientific evidence for this. Check out "valerian" on the webmd site for a range of useful information on this.

boa sorte,

Brian

9. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

At one point in time, for years, I was on the other side of the coin, and found no real mental relation from smoking. Effects were more physical than mental. I found unwanted side effects and unhealthy smoke a reason to quit. Between then and now, I wouldn't say smoking was any better than spirits, many derived from plants too.

Wondering if you had considered beverages, such as teas or spirits, because there is a myriad of options.

If the smoking aspect is an absolute, then I don't think any plants in themselves may have the desired qualities. Because then it seems the actual puffing could be the goal rather than the properties or effects of herbs and other plants.

10. High Etiquette 009

Hi M. D. Vaden,

I am willing to give some other things a try, but I do not know where to start. Could you offer up some suggestions?