Everbearing Strawberries

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by dt-van, Sep 3, 2014.

1. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

One of the neighbouring raised beds in my Burnaby community garden has 2 strawberry plants which have been producing generous quantities of berries all summer long. Can anyone suggest what variety they might be? Would I be able to buy plants somewhere at this time of year to have better fruiting next summer?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Those strawberry plants are probably a "day neutral" variety. The ones I know best are Hecker, Tristar, and Seascape, all good varieties for this area. Seascape has larger berries than the other two but is not as productive. This year I also tried Eversweet for the first time, and it did not do as well as the other varieties in my garden.

3. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Thanks vitog,
    Where did you get your plants. Are they available in the fall or only in the spring?

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've only seen strawberry plants for sale in the spring, although some places might have left over potted plants in the fall.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I think I've seen fruiting stock offered here in hanging baskets within recent weeks. Of course, what is available there depends on what growers serving that market are producing - and local vendors are buying and presenting to the public.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The vendors at the farmers markets here in Vancouver, and the one I asked on Whitbey Island, have all said their everbearing ones are Albion.

7. blueberry

blueberry Member