Acer palmatum 'Beni maiko'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, May 15, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Progression of leaf from 4/05/05 to 5/13/05. Tree in partial shade with afternoon sun.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  2. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice cultivar but very close to Deshojo. What are the differences ?

3. Mapleman

Mapleman Member Maple Society

Beni Maiko does not hold its color as well as Deshojo but the second season growth will have dark scarlet red odd shaped leaves that are quite attractive. This usually only happens on more mature trees.

4. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

'Beni Maiko' 6-21-08. This tree is awesome. The spring color was better than Deshojo....my neighbor has one. And yes ok it is not as bright as hers is now, but the features are so much cooler. More distinct colors and the wrinkled leaves are incredible as they change from spring to summer.

Regards,
    Cirque

Attached Files:

5. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

i agree with cirque with the spring color.... sometimes i have a hard time differentiating between makio and deshojo but the wrinkled leaves are the giveaway! My makio got TOSTED by late frost but it pushed its second growth with great success. i think next year i may throw some shade cloth for a week or two so it doesn't get fried again weird winter i guess.

Attached Files:

6. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Another early bird,this one's already faded from the dazzling bright red which 'Shin Deshojo' is just now displaying.This year it's fading with some yellow colouration in the leaves producing this nice almost brick-red appearance.It's a close call but I still prefer this one out of the two cultivars.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  7. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is a photo of my new Beni maiko. it is interesting int that the big tree is not as vivid red as a smaller one I have. It may just be from the different light picked up from the camera so I will shot more shots of the tre with different light.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      287.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      303 KB
      Views:
  8. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

My new Beni maiko. How sun tolerant is this cultivar? Trying to determine where I should site it.

Attached Files:

9. Mapleman

Mapleman Member Maple Society

Tolerates full sun in Atlanta Georgia. However it does hold its color longer if you can give it a cooler location and still get a half day of morning sun.

10. JazzUp

JazzUp Member

Close-up Spring leaves

Attached Files:

11. Blinky1

Blinky1 New Member

My newest addition, a Beni Maiko. Love the color and leaf size varietion of this tree. Photos were taken yesterday, Aug 2014. I also have a Shin Deshojo. Looking forward to comparing the color intensity of the two this Fall and next Spring.

Another photo.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I would like to add my Beni Maiko to this thread, as it's become one of the most colourful maples in my garden. It thrives in full sun and needs little attention. I've added Spring Summer and Autumn photos. As you can see, there is no season that it does not brighten a garden.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  13. Acerholic

An update for Summer on my Beni Maiko. Not doing too bad on the 20th July.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  14. Acerholic

My Beni maiko is in full sun and holds its colour well up to the end of July. These photographs taken today 29th July 2020. Just starting to lose it's scarlet tones now, preparing for the Autumn show.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    So much pretty new growth on my Beni Maiko. These reds are Spring like !!!!!

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    A Spring photo !!? No, it's nearly Autumn!!! What a very strange year.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    A close up today to show the changes that are happening fast now on my Beni Maiko.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

25th September 2020 and some colours are more subtle than others. But that is the beauty of maples they are all so different and often the same tree is different year on year. This is why they are loved the world over.
    Beni Maiko makes a good point here, as it is often a scarlet red at this time of the year.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

4th October 2020 and it looks like Spring on my Beni Maiko. This is so strange.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

7th October 2020 and my maples are either turning to Autumn colours, or have new Spring like growth or the leaves are just ready to drop. Such a strange year.
    My Beni Maiko though is now doing everything it should with the reddening of it's leaves.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  22. Acerholic

7th November 2020 and I'm posting this to show how the colours are not too interesting after early Autumn compared to the rest of the year. You really have to appreciate it whilst you can. The shoots do go everywhere on this one, so needs a tidy in March.
    Would I reccomend it for the garden, answer is definitely Yes.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

22nd April 2021 and my Beni Maiko is looking it's usual radiant scarlet now.
    Even after the nights frost it didn't stop it from doing what it does best and thats being a very cheerful tree. The water is from my spraying at night and in the very early mornings to protect against frost damage.
    Beni maiko 190.JPG

24. Acerholic

29th April 2021 and is there anything quite as vivid pink as a Beni Maiko in a maple collection at this time of the year. I'm not sure there is tbh.
    Beni Maiko 207.JPG

25. Acerholic

9th May 2021 and the colours of my Beni Maiko are probably at their best now. I still, have a few other cultivars that haven't leafed out yet. A very strange Spring...
    Beni Maiko 221.JPG Beni Maiko 222.JPG