Identification: Yellow Squash Leaves and BER

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by fergusyarrow, Aug 7, 2014.

1. fergusyarrow

fergusyarrow Member

Hi there,

I have 2 x acorn squash and 1 x pink banana squash and I noticed that the bottom leaves are yellowing, as in the picture (msg082217212382.jpg). I thought I've been pretty consistent with my watering, taking care not to under/over water. Maybe this is just normal as the season wears on?

I have noticed also that the banana squash, even though I have 3 healthy squash, is not setting very many fruit and, the ones it does set, usually end up like the ones in 2nd (msg082217212382.0822201511440.jpg) and 3rd (photo.jpg) pictures. Is this BER or incomplete fertilisation? In fact, in the 3rd picture, this guy is about 8" long and looked like he was set to develop and then all of a sudden stalled and now seems to be browning at the blossom end :(

Cheers,

Fergus

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Curcurbits should be planted Faaaar apart. They tend to cross pollinate easily and create some interesting fruits that look nothing like they are supposed to. ;-))

3. fergusyarrow

fergusyarrow Member

Thanks Barbara :) I think it is okay for this year. As I understand it, I would only face the prospect of having strange, hybrid fruit next year if I were to use the seeds from this years fruit. My main concern this year is the yellowing leaves and BER.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Forgive me my ignorance, but what you mean by BER?

5. fergusyarrow

fergusyarrow Member

Hi Sundrop,

I apologise. I thought I had put the whole thing before switching to the acronym. Blossom end rot. It's where the squash start to brown and rot from the blossom back :(

Fergus

6. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

To me the yellowing leaves just seem to be shaded out by the larger leaves above it, no big deal. Prune them off. I've never had any experience with BER, as the kids are calling it but I found this article that may help. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=395