Borers ? need help please

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Carver1, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Carver1

Carver1 New Member

I have searched online for hours in an attempt of identification of my problem and think I have a borer problem.
    The wood came from a White Rock yard where all the trees were being cleared for new construction, so I don't have the ability to ask the owners what it might be. It was green (ie: recently cut down) when I got it. It is about 12 inches round and 3 feet tall.

This is in a carving I recently made so I don't want to have to get rid of it, but I don't want the problem to spread to other trees in my yard.

Any help you can give me as to what it is and how I can get rid of it would be greatly appreciated.

I first noticed some sawdust on the carving about two weeks after I had carved it, but thought that it was just sawdust I hadn't blown off, so I just blew it off again. A few days later the sawdust was back in greater quantity. On closer inspection I noticed a small pin-hole size opening, and I do mean pin-hole size for when I wanted to see how far the hole went into the wood, I had to use a pin to check it. the hole by the way is close to an inch deep.

The wood was finished with 3 coats of MinWax Tung Oil and then 3 coats of Spar Varnish.

Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I cannot tell what type of insect is causing your headache. Most control products have been banned in Canada. Things like "Lindane" could be painted onto the trunk of a living tree or shrub. We no longer have legal access to this type of product and they would not work on your carving anyways.

Can I suggest a syringe with neem or perhaps vinegar be used to inject into the tunneling sites? Alternatively, very hot water?
    Or again, using some kind of syringe with a larger orifice that would allow you to inject a filler into the holes?

Whatever you use may obviously have an effect on your carvings finish.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If the carving will fit, it could be placed in a chest freezer for a week or more. That should kill the borers. We did this with a small antique table, and it worked quite well.

4. Carver1

Carver1 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I took David's advice and, after drilling the holes a bit larger, inserted a hypo needle containing vinegar. And will do so again today.

If that doesn't work I might try the deep freezer but am uncertain if the freezing would create cracks in the wood. If the wood was seasoned I wouldn't have as much problem trying it but the wood is green, containing a lot of water. We'll see.

If anybody else can suggest something else, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

5. bolotty

bolotty New Member

I have had great succes killing borers with kerosene. Take a cloth and wet it with kerosene. There after cover with plastic film at least 24 hours.

Bolotty

6. Carver1

Carver1 New Member

OK ! Thanks for that. If the vinegar doesn't work, kerosene gets a go!
    How's the weather in Denmark? My wife has relatives there - all over the place.

7. bolotty

bolotty New Member

Hi. The weather in Denmark is magnificent. We have had three month with allmost no rain (well many plants have been killed) and temp. above 24 degrees centergrade. Now rain is on its way to us, so I will say: the best summer in 10 years!

All the best, bolotty