Hardy dwarf cherries - PRUNING

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sea, Jul 1, 2014.

1. sea

sea Member

Dear experts,

this spring I bought 2 little (tiny) sour cherry trees - "Romeo" and "Valentine" - at a local nursery. Both had little info tags attached to them which contain no useful information but the names of the varieties. On the web-site of their grower (U of S) there is also just a few facts on them. There is some info on how to prune regular fruit trees on the Internet, but these ones are dwarf trees, and I would appreciate your advice.

Here is the link to the official description:
    http://www.fruit.usask.ca/dwarfsourcherries.html

I also took pictures of them today morning and measured them. They both are 50 cm tall now and the lower branch is about 10 cm above the ground.

I realize that pruning should be done somewhere in February/March, but I still need your advice now in case something should be done earlier.

Thank you in advance everybody!

P.S.: I have no idea how many years it may take my son to see first cherries on these trees...

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      86.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      94.6 KB
      Views:
  2. sea

sea Member

Summer vacation or nobody in the forum ever dealt with dwarf cherries...

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

In this area, you can prune most fruit trees any time. I would start training them right away by pinching off the tips of branches that you don't want to keep and letting the desirable growth continue. I'm been doing that with a new dwarf sweet cherry ever since I planted it this spring. Pruning this way will direct most of the growth where you want it, and you will have a minimum amount of pruning to do during the dormant season.

4. sea

sea Member

Thanks a lot for your reply, but I do not quite understand what you mean when you say "pinch off the tips of branches". By doing this, I will just make them shorter, but these branches will remain on the trees, right? I cannot find any picture of a mature dwarf cherry on the Internet to see how it should normally look and prune mines appropriately. I am not even sure how tall they will be in a few years - probably 1.5 m or so... How old is your tree? Could you upload its pic into this thread, please?

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

6. sea

sea Member

Thanks, will read this article today. Hopefully, will find something helpful in it :)

7. sea

sea Member

Pruned the trees. Thank you for the link!

8. Ricky

Ricky New Member

This is 2019, I bought the same cherry trees, Romero family, Please let me know how well it grow in your area. Thanks