So many yuccas in 5B?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by the man, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Alot of houses in north toronto have a huge amout of yuccas I think baccata yucca are everywere. And how many yuccas are for 5B zone? and the ones I see seem to be healthy and fine in the winter. and there is adams needles there to But I want to try a joshua yucca are we to cold for that tree?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Joshua tree (Yucca brevifolia) is rated for zone 9 or milder.

3. I will try the ones growing I live that people grow in their gardens. I dont know if im right but I saw a metre long trunking one dont know what species it is. not much hardy tropical plants for zone 5b. and every yucca I see in a pot or in the ground never died in the winter every yucca I see is alive.

4. seahawks2884

seahawks2884 Member

5. Thanks. some sites like daves garden tell me that the joshua tree is hardy to zone 5b and other sites tell that its hardy to zone 9 and others say zone 7. I dont know if there wrong but sites say that yucca baccata is hardy to zone 8 but In toronto there is two trunked baccatas that are only a 1 metre tall daves garden also said that a palm is natice to italy spain or other in the middle east said its hardy to zone 5a but I cant really know if its right. usda site does not tell me what zone there are in. and the yucca adams needle is native to southren ontario but maybe wrong that what usda site told me. If a joshua tree lives in a 5b it will not trunk. I want to xeriscape but we are limited for desert plants for 5b. denmark is a bit milder then we are.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yuccas can be tricky to identify, misidentification might perhaps explain some discrepancies. Otherwise, variation in hardiness zone assignments (and other information) found in books and on web sites is the norm, and not just with yuccas either.

7. the man

the man Member

Attached Files: