British Columbia: what the heck is eating my plants?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by colleend, Jul 2, 2014.

1. colleend

colleend Member

Hi all, in desperate need of some help here. Something is chewing my plants off at ground level at an alarming rate. So far they are only interested in the lilies, irises, crocosmia, and bullrush millet. I'm saying a 4' tall lily with 3 blooms about to open, lying dead on the ground. Just like a beaver falling a tree. I found pieces of crocosmia on the lawn 15' away from the flower bed?? Is it a squirrel, a rat, raccoon?? In hopes of saving some of my plants I resorted to slug bait which I piled around the bottoms of all the plants. Looks terrible, hate to use it, but hate to lose all my plants more. Any help would be so appreciated, thank you kindly....Colleen in North Vancouver

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would suspect deer. Any droppings in the yard?

3. colleend

colleend Member

Hi Eric, thanks so much for your reply. I haven't seen any evidence of deer in the yard and none of the other plants were disturbed nor any deer foot/paw prints in the bed?? A neighbor suggested "Irish Spring" soap, apparently everything hates that smell. At this point I'm willing to try anything to save what I have left. I'll post any results OR failures. Thanks again for your time...Colleen

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    any updates from the original poster?
    clues? (like scat / droppings)

do you ever see deer in your neighborhood?

I would say deer too -

we live in the rural suburbia similar & nearby to North Van so our biggest culprit is Deer, then coyotes and raccoons then cougars and bears (and rats) - I don't mind the wildlife - on the plus side, it's a reminder of the only good thing about having neighbors with annoying barking dogs - they keep some of the garden eaters away ; )

5. KimberlyKid

KimberlyKid Member

Have you considered rodents? I have seen stems on plants eaten to a point, with teeth marks showing. Look for small dirt mounds nearby--gophers love this sort of activity. Good luck.

6. Georgia Strait

yes, good point - what are those busy rodents ... who make the small mounds of earth soil - often grouped

do you have that in your garden and lawn?

If you are on the west side of Vancouver BC - I have seen these little earth mounds out near Dunbar area and in to UBC Endowment garden areas.

it seems to me that these critters have moved north in the past 3 or so decades - we used to see them in PDX OR area - now up here

and very often in the Okanagan Valley, BC, too.

7. colleend

colleend Member

Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I've pretty well figured out that it's squirrels, there's no rat poop, no deer prints, but I did find some nuts buried in the areas where the plants were trashed. As much as I HATE to use the Safer's slug bait, it has stopped the destruction, for now. Fingers crossed. Thanks again and have a great weekend/summer.

8. Georgia Strait

when you say "squirrels" - are you referring to the black imported squirrels - or the smaller "native" douglas squirrels (more beige color fur)?

9. KimberlyKid

KimberlyKid Member

If you do have "dirt mounds" you may well have pocket gophers. Dig with a shovel and see if you can uncover a tunnel in the center of the mound, if so it's definitely them. I have had considerable experience dealing with these guys--they are definitely nasty.

I had heard that there was none north of the Columbia River, but then they said the same thing of the Snake River in our country. I suppose they can always hitch a ride some way.

10. Georgia Strait

Hello - I want to let you know that up here in the rainshadow dry country - we don't mind the pocket gophers - as they help make habitat for what's left up here for wildlife

I must say, I was surprised to see what I thought looked familiar (as same pocket gopher soil mounds) out near UBC-Vancouver the other day

have a look at this conservation gardening website
    http://www.okanagansimilkameenstewardship.ca/2014/02/sos-save-our-salamanders.html

I am still puzzled by the photo that the OP posted as I have never seen evidence like that at the coast garden or the Ok Valley garden

and I do wonder if the OP is referring to the black "park" squirrels or our native squirrels (Douglas and Red)

11. colleend

colleend Member

Hi again, I'm pretty sure it's the black squirrels, look like rats with fluffy tails. No mounds anywhere, I don't believe we have gophers around North Vancouver. I've had no damages since I put the Safer's slug bait around the plants.
    Just heading out to harvest my 1st meal of scarlet runner beans, and should be eating tomato's within the week, tumblers in a hanging basket on my deck.
    Happy Gardening to all, have a great summer, and thanks for all your input...Colleen

12. Georgia Strait

this is off your original topic - what do you use to fertilize your tumbler plant pot tomatoes? thank you from gardener in similar neighborhood to you - near Vancouver

13. colleend

colleend Member

Hi Georgia Strait, I use Miracle Gro for everything, always have, for 40 odd years of gardening, inside and out. I try to do it every week but at least every 2 weeks. Always water the plants well 1st, then do the fertilizing with the watering can, 1 full scoop for big can. As you can see it really makes a difference. The tomato plants on the west side of the house are over 6' tall already, covered with flowers, and this spot only gets 2-3 hours of sun each day and the pots are small. My pride and joy is my Gunnera plant, it's 5 yrs. old and as big as a car but taller. In behind I have a large planter box with tomato's, runner beans, and chard. I've converted my whole boulevard into a growing space, full sun all day, and ugly brown grass, so win win situation. Here's some pics of the tumblers, and other garden delights. Happy gardening. Stay cool.

Attached Files:

14. Georgia Strait

hello - thank you for the photos

because your info is so valuable and inspiring - I have started a new thread here

maybe the moderator can link your photos over to the thread.

pls read my post at the new location and maybe you have some answers that will help me do a little bit of easy farming (ha!)

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=329736#post329736