Arctic Kiwi ...need help

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by gARDEN gUY, Jun 24, 2014.

1. gARDEN gUY

gARDEN gUY Member

Hi
    My friend has had an Arctic Kiwi for 5 seasons now. They (1 male-1 female ) remain less than one foot tall. Any advice to get them to start to "take off" as they should??
    Thank you

2. Fruit

Fruit New Member

Can we see a picture of the kiwi? Nitrogen fertilizer should be used to increase growth but don't add too much. Sunlight and water are also important for growth.

3. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

Thats odd, I planted mine less than a month ago and it is already three feet tall. Something is not right, is it in full sun?

4. gARDEN gUY

gARDEN gUY Member

All of the above has been done......photo to follow as I get it. Thanks!

5. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I was having issues with some assorted kiwi about 4 or 5 years ago.

I had lost my male during the winter so went to one of the local garden centers to get a replacement. I did this and put it in the ground but noticed a couple of days later that it was starting to droop. Within another day or so it was dead so I went back and got a replacement. I put this one in the ground and literally watched this one dying before my eyes so I returned to the garden center with pictures and a leaf sample. The garden center was stumped and told me to return the plant. By the time I had returned home, it was dead. When I returned with the plant, I was told that it appeared as though something was restricting the flow of fluid from the roots to the leaves (the roots appeared health but no fluids could be found in the upper leaves). I was told they were having problems with plants from a certain supplier and suspected a fungus that, and when the plant was stressed (such as transplanting), usually caused a swift death.
    During that season I went through several plants with this same problem but did end up with a female 'fuzzy' - A. deliciosa - that did survive, however this plant is very stunted and has never grown beyond about a foot tall. It puts outs new leaves every spring, very slowly, and then seems to stop growing. Its almost as though the sap and essential fluids can not make it beyond a certain height in the plant.

Is it possible that your friend's plants experienced the same problem and are survivors?

6. gARDEN gUY

gARDEN gUY Member

Thanks....I will mention it to her....

7. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

Just thought I would mention mine is cultivar "Issai" which self pollinates.