Bleeding Hearts Bush

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Orioa, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Orioa

Orioa New Member

sorry if i am posting this in the wrong area or if it is a repost although i didn't find it....
    when is the best time to move a bleeding hearts bush..i have one that is not getting enough sun and i want to move it to a better area just not sure when it is the best time of yr to do it.

Thanks

2. Aisya

Aisya Member

When its stopped flowering,

My neighbours is till in flower, I thought these were Spring flowerers so logically they should soon be going back now.

3. Orioa

Orioa New Member

thank you i just don't wanna kill it

4. SKrawchuk

SKrawchuk New Member

I would like to move my bleeding heart bush as well, but only by a foot or two. Mine is in a part shade garden in Ontario and is almost done flowering. I am not sure what type of bleeding heart you have but I believe mine is the old fashioned one. I don't see how I could move it with out breaking the branches? I was thinking maybe I should wait till next spring when it is just starting to poke through the dirt?

Here if our summers get really hot the bleeding heart bush will start to die back and go into dormancy, the leaves turn yellow and kinds shrivel, it doesn't look nice at all and we can cut it right back at this time however our garden is left with a big empty space which I do not like. This happens every summer, can't remember when though, so I am also curious if anyone has any suggestions as to what to plant close by it so that I will have something that fills in this empty space and if so how close to the bleeding heart should I plant it? My bleeding heart bushes have reached maturity and are very large.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Once the foliage begins to die back, most of the energy has been stored in the roots for the following spring. It could be transplanted then. Or, it can be moved in early spring when leaves are first emerging. These are pretty resilient plants.

6. SKrawchuk

SKrawchuk New Member

Thank you Daniel I will definitely move it this summer then once it has died back. I also did something new this year and I cut off all the seed pods that turn up after it has flowered and was surprised to see it re bloom. I have never done that before is this okay to do? I thought it would help it by not having the plant put energy into seed pods but I think instead it just put energy into trying to make new flowers to seed again. I also read somewhere that after the flowers are done to trim it back to 6 inches is this true?