Searching for Rudbeckia laciniata 'Golden Glow'

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Iamaunique1, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Iamaunique1

Iamaunique1 New Member

I am looking for the plant Golden Glow? Can anyone tell me where I can get it? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Please accept my apology if I am posting in the wrong place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  2. Hill Farm Nursery

Hill Farm Nursery New Member

You're not likely to find this old garden standby in your local big commercial nursery - it's rather out of fashion in the trade. Best bet is to check out the plant vendors at small farmers' markets and the like, or keep an eye out for it in gardens and then be brave and approach the gardener for a start. And check out rural "back yard" nurseries if you are taking a drive in the country.

What you're looking for is Rudbeckia laciniata 'hortensia', though 'Golden Glow' is the common name and will get you a nod of immediate recognition.

It divides extremely easily, and will establish at any stage in its growth cycle if you get it planted right away and keep it moist - summer drought is fatal before it gets its roots down.

This one won't be available from seed - the double blooms are sterile - so that's not an option.

Would be happy to supply you with a chunk from my own thriving patch - relic of a pioneer garden here on our old farm - but it looks like you are in Ontario and I am in BC - you should be able to track it down closer to home.

Anyone in Ontario reading this want to share a piece of theirs? :-)

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

It is how I got mine. :)