Moving Strelitzia reginae

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by slovett, Jan 22, 2006.

1. slovett

slovett Member

I have the great/sad fortune to be missing my visits to the UBC garden, as I am now living near Beirut, Lebanon. In my garden I have several large Bird of Paradise plants. One is very near a fountain I wish to rejuvinate, but the other posts with regard to Strelitzia reginae are with regard to indoor plants. What is the best time of year for me to move this treasure? I would hate to damage or worse, lose it...I also have papryus around the same fountain to move. Any advice would be appreciated...thank you

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a beautiful plant. I suspect that transplanting and propagating by division methods are roughly the same, so you might like to see this reference: propagating bird-of-paradise from the Univ. of Florida.

David Tarrant suggests the best time of year to do this will be when it is cooler and there is a bit more moisture. Late spring? I'm not sure how much seasonal variation there is in Lebanon.

3. slovett

slovett Member

Daniel,
    Thank you and David for the link and suggestions. I think I will try for mid-February, as January has been heavy with rain and down to 6 or 7 degrees overnight, though often mid-teens in the afternoons. I understand the rain will decrease next month, March temperatures will move up to the mid twenties, leading quickly to rainless times from April to October. No threat of moving back to frosty lows that we could get in the BC springs.
    Thanks again,
    Sharmeen

4. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Hi Daniel and Slovett
    If I may jump into this topic and mention some advice. Syrelitzias are a common sight around our way. They are a little tricky to transplant due to their fleshy root system. I strongly suggest lifting the entire plant in late winter as Daniel suggested. Looking at the size of the specimen, I would divide it into three plants and nurse them through the ordeal in pots with around 45litre volume capacity and use a quality potting soil mix.
    The trick is to ensure all damaged roots from transplanting are pruned back to the base of the plant, as once these are damaged they will naturally die back and pose a hygiene problem around your plant. Remove dead leaves whilst nursing the plant. Its best to allow the plant to reabsorb the dyeing leaves moisture and nutrients.
    Grow them on in a shady area until you are confident that the plants roots have grown to occupy the entire pot. Sell two of the three plants to finance the project. In a years time you will have a healthy strelitzia to plant out in the garden
    Best success

5. slovett

slovett Member

Puddleton,
    Thanks for your suggestion about the pots...move has been completed now and all four pieces seem to be doing well. Lebanon is certainly the land of milk and honey, when it comes to growing....I have watched locals cut a shoot off almost anything, shove it into the ground, and, voila, new successful plant.
    Thank you,
    Sharmeen

6. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Happy to help and glad to hear they're doing well