Identification: Acer Palmatum?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Bodger2, May 15, 2014.

1. Bodger2

Bodger2 Member

Hello. Hope someone can help me id this maple. I found it growing from seed in the leaf mulch below what I believe to be the parent maple tree. The leaves appear to be the same on both. The seedling in the picture is in it's second year and happily growing in a 1 gal pot. Does not seem to be growing very quickly in it's part shade location and is approx 1 foot tall. The leaves on the parent tree are approx 3" to 5" wide, and the bark is somewhat smooth and green. The fall color is yellow and not very impressive IMO.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

With those moon-shaped leaves probably one of the other Sec. Palmata maple species.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Agree with Ron, definitely not Acer palmatum, but likely a related species. Three possibilities off the top of my head: A. circinatum, A. sieboldianum, A. shirasawanum.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A good way to tell would have been to look at the flowers when it was in bloom.

5. Bodger2

Bodger2 Member

Thanks

Thanks Ron B and maf. I was thinking it might be a vine maple, but being a complete novice in the maple world I had to ask the more enlighten members here. Thanks Ron B for the tip on the flowers. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to those this spring and they have passed for this year.

According to the Wikipedia page for Acer circinatum (Vine Maple) "It belongs to the Palmatum group of maple trees native to East Asia with its closest relatives being the Acer japonicum (Fullmoon Maple) and Acer pseudosieboldianum (Korean Maple)"

So vine maple being a North American native but related to the East Asia species, would it be possible to uses this as rootstock for grafting of JM scion? I want to attempt grafting a red weeping variety to this rootstock not sure what the rules are when it comes to groups/species/families.

If the above rootstock is not viable I have acquired a couple of Bloodgood seedlings this spring thanks to mother nature and I am pretty sure they will make for the proper rootstock for grafting some weeping laceleaf varieties.

All the plants are free to me and I enjoy playing in my sandbox,LOL. If they don't turn out that's fine. The fun is in the trying.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It is possible to use Vine Maple as an understock for grafting palmatum scions, but it is said to heal too slowly to make a good rootstock, which is why palmatum rootstock is almost universally used by nurserymen. You have nothing to lose by trying, apart from your time and effort, and that doesn't sound like it will be an issue, given your positive attitude: "If they don't turn out that's fine. The fun is in the trying."

(And, you are right, the bloodgood seedlings would be ideal for the job.)

7. Bodger2

Bodger2 Member

Good to know. I will give it a try on the vine maple and use that as a learning experience before attempting with the bloodgoods. The bloodgoods have some growing to do before they are ready.