Dwarf JM Acer palmatum 'Green Globe' (but not dissectum)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maf, Jun 3, 2010.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

At a couple of different UK retailers that sell small, cheap, cutting grown, Japanese maples at this time of year I have noticed a dwarf for sale as 'Green Globe' in amongst the usual 'Orange Dream's and 'Atropurpureum's. When I first saw it I thought it was a rogue mislabeled batch, because the 'Green Globe' reported in books and websites is a dissectum. But I have now seen it at different places separated by time and distance and corporate ownership, so this form must now be widely distributed.

Does anyone know anything about this maple? According to the label the grower is Van Son & Koot of Holland.

As they were so cheap (£3/€3.50/$4.50) I picked one up to grow on for observation. The description on the label: "The beautiful Japanese dwarf maple...... produces a compact branching bush with brilliant fresh green, lobed leaves, coloured yellow and red at the growing tips. The autumn colour is a breathtaking golden yellow." I will report back if it proves to be anything interesting.

In addition, here is a picture of the label:
    label.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. LV55

LV55 New Member

Hi, I have the same "Acer palmatum green globe" with the same label. I bought this acer in 2009 year. Acer is growing rapidly. Branches of maple grows not only on top (up), partially overhanging (pendulous). For a while I completely dont understand the growth of maple. Why Green globe? Unfortunately, I did this two years ago maple cut it. Now, I think habitus (crown) of this tree will have branches growing up but also a lot of overhanging branches growing.

PS. Sorry, but my English is very very simply.

3. maf

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The one I have is still small, probably because it is grown in a small container in a fairly shady area, and is growing strong and healthy. As far as I can tell the leaf shape and growth characteristics are typical for a small leaved Acer palmatum subspiecies palmatum. Whether it will grow into a globe form in time I do not know.

Originally it was listed on the supplier's website, but when I looked for it again a year or so back it was no longer there.

4. maf

Just a quick update to this Jurassic thread. The "Not Green Globe" has proved to be healthy in the last 10 years despite being planted in a small pot and kept in a fairly shady area, which obviously limited the growth rate. I would describe it as dwarf to semi dwarf and slightly upright in that it grows taller than wide without pruning or training. Spring colour has reddish edging to the leaves, green in summer, and good orange to gold in autumn.

Still no idea what the true cultivar name is but the best three quid I ever spent on a maple without doubt. The colour from a day or two ago:

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.