Luck growing an olive tree?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by nron007, Apr 28, 2014.

1. nron007

nron007 New Member

I've decided to try my hand at growing an olive tree. I saved about 10 calamata olive pits (keeping them moist, of course). I read that because the seed is so hard, you have to either soak them in sulfuric acid (which I do not have on hand) or break the pit, allowing the seed to germinate properly. I opted for breaking the pit, which I did with a hammer, cracking the pit.
    I've planted them in regular potting soil, covering the pot with plastic wrap and secured with an elastic, then poking holes in it to allow breathing and watering, once it dries out.

Has anyone successfully done this? If so, any tips?
    It's a shot in the dark, I know, but I was curious!

Thanks,

Nick

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Curious where you found ripe uncured olives to save the pits? (Cured olives won't germinate)
    They are subtropical so you won't be growing them outdoors and won't fruit indoors.
    The ones I grew took several months to sprout. I just nipped off the pointed end.

3. nron007

nron007 New Member

LOL can you tell I'm an amateur!? I planted seeds from a cured kalamata olive...I'll leave them, just in case, but I'm no longer hopeful!

I found a BC olive tree company that ships young olive trees...I think I might get one from them.

Every once in a while, I see crates of un-cured olives at Superstore, not fresh off the tree though...I may try those, next time I see them. That could work.

Thanks!

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Wouldn't it be simpler to propagate with a stem or leaf cutting?

5. nron007

nron007 New Member

It would, I think! I just need to get my hands on one...

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Olive trees are fairly common here in Vancouver. They're sold in nurseries and can be found growing outdoors. Have you tried places that sell bonsai? You may be able to get some plant material there. My own tree is the result of a propagated leaf cutting from such a place.