Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Fairy Puff'

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by JT1, Sep 27, 2013.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Fairy Puff'
    Iseli Introduction (and new to me)
    I can't speak from experience as this is a new addition to my collection, but I plan to provide updates on my experiences in the future. From my research on this introduction:

This is a dwarf and very slow growing Sawara Cypress. It was discovered as a mutation growing on 'White Pygmy' and introduced by Iseli Nursery. The tight white buds are encouraged by regular shearing. Very eye catching color, texture, when viewed in person and very soft to the touch. Right now it's ideal for small gardens and miniature gardens. Maybe if one was let to grow on, in 10 years you may have something that would provide an impact in a larger garden setting (and really there are other options in the trade that are similar in form, color, and texture that would be better suited for a large landscape needing instant impact). But it seems the primary feature of this plant is the tight growth brought on my regular maintenance, so it will always remain a small plant for me.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

And sheared 'Squarrosa Intermedia' has been sold as 'Blue Mound'. With that one once you end the shearing it REALLY changes character quickly, in a John Carpenter's The Thing sort of way.

3. dcsteg

dcsteg Active Member 10 Years

How much full sun can it stand?

Will it burn?

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The nursery has them wide open in full sun. Mine gets about 70% sun. No burning, but keep in mind, the nursery only got them in last August, so neither of us have a full season with Fairy Puff. I have 'snow' growing in all day sun with no burning for many years.