Spring 2014 pics

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Mar 23, 2014.

1. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

-As you see, i am ready.

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

OK, I so want one of those, lol. I have a little wheelbarrow that converts into a plant dolly and for most of my medium to larger pots it works well, but a few of my bigger ones just don't quite fit. That's when I put my other 'dolly' to work - "Oh honey!!! I need you to move something for me!" LOL He's a great hole-digger too. :D

Roebuk, that's actually pretty inventive, I might have to steal your idea one day...

My new Matthew, Villa Taranto and Murakumo (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this tree!) from Diana at Topiary Gardens are leafing out nicely...

Attached Files:

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just a few more spring pics, things really moving fast now!!

1/ Nicholsonii love this one stunning colours in the fall
    2/ Pendulum Julian my favourite of all the Dissectums
    3/ Main pic Mirte, with Lutscens Sharps pygmy, Ki hachijo and Beni tsukasa for a touch of colour :)

Attached Files:

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are some more as the leaves come out. Funny year all told, now the griseums are coming out before some of the macranthums; triflorum was actually very early. We have summer roses starting and the lilacs aren't fully open yet, but there's still some yellow in the forsythia! Though most maples are out, the chilly weather has sort of stalled everyone.

- A. platanoides 'Tharandt'. Beautiful nasturtium-like leaves.
    - A. pictum ssp mono. Young leaves.
    - A. pictum ssp mono. Leaves a few weeks later.
    - A. longipes var weixiense. These long tipped leaves are quite dark and make a nice contrast planting.
    - A. sieboldianum, elegant young leaves and form of this Japanese maple from an upstairs window. You can also see A. campestre 'Carnival' and A. palmatum 'Sango kaku' (just) planted close behind it. A. pseudosieboldianum is in the upper left, but shown to advantage in this pic.
    - A. pycnanthum 'Asayake nishiki'. As leaves go from deep red to green, they pass through yellow, looks like flames.

A. pictum is very difficult and a lot of work remains to be done. These trees came from seed originally collected as A. truncatum ssp mono, a synonym of A. pictum, and were sold to me as A. mono. After some observation I believe I have the ID correct in the Flora of China sense which is consistent here with the De Langhe keys; in the Japanese sense I would call these A. pictum f. mayrii (Aka-itaya).

Attached Files:

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

We went to our favorite nursery, Leuty nursery in Novelty, OH. Finally we had a chance to see Spring. I took some pictures of some trees they got in this Spring. I also took some pictures of some trees that over wintered in the hoop houses that were just starting to leaf out.

Attached Files:

6. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A few pics from earlier this month, the only maples not yet in leaf are Marlo and Ben Komachi. Its been a very early start and luckily no late frosts.

Attached Files:

7. Viet922

Viet922 Member

Thanks all for posting these spring pictures.

8. maplesandpaws

Murakumo is finally starting to leaf out oh-so-nicely - I love this tree so much! Matthew and Villa Taranto are doing the same; I think these two are going to be in my top 10 as well. Moved my Summer Gold next to my Tsukushigata... I think these two play off each other amazingly well. I'm hoping both will sun tolerant here in Kansas; I'd love to plant them together!! Beni otake positively glows when the sun hits it, and the bamboo fence just adds to the effect.

On a more somber note, this is how the trunk of my Coral Pink is now looking; the black is spreading but, more worrying, it now has two, with a third starting, oozing wounds. :( No saving it, right? And, perhaps more importantly, would it be safe to plant a different maple here, or would I be tempting fate???

Attached Files:

9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I'm sorry to say that its game over for your Coral Pink. I would pull it out and put it in a nursery container to finish out its final days.

When its a newly planted tree and it did not decline from your soil conditions, then I do not hesitate planting something new there.

If it was an established tree that is dying from extreme winter, again I don't hesitate planting something new in its place.

But, if its an established tree that got sick from poor soil and drainage, I will not replant a new tree. I will remove the old tree and the surrounding soil. Fix the drainage issue, adding fresh soil and all purpose sand. Build up the bed so that the new rootball is above the native soil line. Of course if its a low spot, the soil needs to be built up and properly graded and incorporate a channel for excess water to run off (for me this is an outline of the bed, a channel is used to direct excess water out to the driveway or sidewalk, which makes its way to the street).

I lost my mikawa yatsubusa this week to the extreme winter. As things are starting to warm up, death is setting in. I think the environmental queues tell the tree its time to make the Spring push and this is too much for the ones that were extremely weakened by the winter.

On my watch list (or probably soon to be dead list)
    amber ghost
    baldsmith
    Garnet (1 is healthy and pushing buds, the other has a large crack in trunk and dying)
    goshiki kotohime (few branches leafed out, nothing on 95% of canopy)
    kagiri nishiki
    Katsura
    shin hikasa

Its hard to go from loosing 1 tree in 8 yeays; to losing 8 trees in 1 Winter. Many in the growing business are saying this was the worst winter EVER! This is coming from individual people in the growing business for 60+ years.

10. emery

I've never even seen bleeding pustules like you have on your Coral Pink. Definitely time to pot it up. I might go in for some experimental surgery, because it looks like time for the "Hail Mary..."

Jaybee, thanks for all those pics! That's a lot of work. :) Looks great! My Beni tsukasa is a different looking, I've uploaded a picture. Maybe gets more sun?

Here are

- A. palmatum 'Beni tsukasa'
    - A. pictum 'Usugumo' always very pink new leaves.
    - A. pictum 'Hoshi yadori' showing some uneven variegation, as it matures becomes yellower.
    - A. palmatum 'Higasa yama' this one had bad verticillium but is now recovering. I love the young leaves, like little hands.

Attached Files:

11. maplesandpaws

JT, I'm of the same opinion. The seller has agreed for me to ship it back and he will send me a replacement; he's hoping he can save it, but I have my doubts.

The tree was only planted a bare month ago; I got it early February, so it was in a pot until it was warm enough to plant. Up until a week or so ago, it had looked fine, and I know there was no blackening at the base of the trunk when I planted it or that would have immediately raised a red flag. No other trees have been planted in that spot previously; just an azalea that didn't make it through the winter.

The area is on a decently steep slope, so while I did plant it higher (and would with any future tree), I wasn't quite as anal about it as would have been if it had been a flat surface. There is a Viridis planted right beside it (this spring, about the same time as the Coral Pink), a Nuresagi planted just a little down the slope from it, and Hana matoi a little further beyond that (these two were planted early last fall). All of them were planted in the same way, with the same amended soil, etc, and they are doing fine.

12. Jaybee63

Emery, the leaf colours have now changed, a few weeks on from taking the posted photos, when it drys up I will try and take a few more pics. Beni tsukasa I one of my favourites n I wouldn't mind finding a larger specimen.
    We had terrible weather last night, high winds and I'm hoping there I not too much damage.

13. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Dear me,sorry to hear of your misfortunes JTI....I hope that splendid Amigi Shigure goes some way to cheering you up.
    I'm sad to say the darkness has come knocking on my door.My Shishigashira has been in full leaf for a month now but almost overnight the dreaded black death has appeared at the base.At present the tree still looks very healthy but I know it's just a matter of time.
    What's the general concensus?...try bare rooting and re-potting?...and to anyone who's had success doing this,does the blackness remain or does the wood turn a dead white? cheers

Attached Files:

14. Houzi

Just to cheer myself up a couple of snaps
    It's getting out of hand now,there's barely room for myself now in my tiny garden
    'Ukigumo'(still my favourite)
    'Beni Shichihenge'
    My little ball of fire 'Shaina'..5years in ground still small
    A newbie for me 'Nathan',hope it keeps this habit as it should end up red and be quite unusual,but all photos I've seen(including the producers of this plant)show a regular habit
    'Tsuri Nishiki'

Attached Files:

15. Jaybee63

Houzi, pictures attached of my Nathan, its been planted in the ground about 3 years and in partial shade.

Attached Files:

16. Jaybee63

Hi Emery,
    Some pictures of Beni Tsukasa taken today.

Attached Files:

17. Houzi

Fine specimen Jaybee...mine looks nothing like it ha....seems to be some contradiction out there as to wether it's red or not.I assume it's one of those plants that needs more sun to change colour?

18. Jaybee63

Mine is planted under a very large holly tree, which being evergreen means that not much sun is received, just early morning when the suns low in the sky. However I like the lighter tones on this cultivar.
    I have 2 Villa Taranto planted in the garden, both in different positions, one is red, one green.
    I will try and post some pictures tomorrow.

19. ROEBUK

Different take on the pictures this time, first two taken from the under side of my Burgundy lace which had a good trim last year and looks very nice at the moment.

Last pic of one of the Kamagata's with a dwarf cherry blossom at the side looked super when in blossom a few weeks ago. AS bursting nicely in front. Will light the corner of the garden up in a few weeks time.

Attached Files:

20. emery

Great Burgundy Lace, Roebuck. I love looking up through the the leaves... I assume the shirasawanum is 'Aureum'?

My Beni tsukasa was originally planted in shade, it was quite unhappy, so I moved it to a much sunnier position where it has thrived.

My Villa Tarranto, which is pretty big now, originally got pretty good sun and was red outside/green inside; then as the overhanging tree grew out it went pretty much all green. Now I've cleared away a lot of branches to get it more light, it will be interesting to see if it goes red again this year, I hope so!

21. ROEBUK

emery... Had the exact same problem with my beni tsukasa last year was in a very sheltered spot didn't get any sun until the late afternoon.
    Lifted it in the fall re planted and enjoy's full sun big difference in colour now.
    First pic 18/04 second pic 23/04 both taken in the morning turning from a darkish pink to a pastel shade which it's retaining at present, will see how this performs through the summer.Yes the AS is Aureum, my Autumn moons are coming on nicely will post pics of these when they are fully out and in full colour.
    The garden is just a riot of colour at the moment every Acer is just bursting into life, all except the Marlo!!!!! this plant is just annoying me at present.

Attached Files:

22. Jaybee63

Marlo is always the last one out for me, not a leaf on it yet, and it's one I wish I handn't bought, very twiggy and lots of die-back.

23. ROEBUK

jaybee63
    Thank goodness someone else is having the same grief as me with this one:) With you on this wish i hadn't bought it but it's actually my mothers she liked it when we went to Hippos two years ago. Actually spoke to Pat at Hippos last time i was there and she says she has the same problems as well not a good grower by all accounts?

Can beat you on growth though mine as one leaf out at present, but for it's defence it's actually full of tiny tiny buds at present did give a good clip back last year.Time will tell

24. Jaybee63

I believe Hilliers released Marlo and it was well promoted by them, but I don't think it will stand the test of time. Where did you find your Kamagata, I love this variety, but mines quite small and i've not come across a large one for sale.

25. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for opening this very hot thread ,,,,
    Some more of cappadocicum aureum just on the left of my windows.

Attached Files: