will my windmill palm survive?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by zenshack, Apr 17, 2014.

1. zenshack

zenshack Active Member

Hi There

(see this thread for a similar discussion)

Can anyone tell me if they think my windmill palm will survive whatever has happened to it? (See pictures).

Planted it a year ago, it thrived all summer and fall. Even during winter (Which was pretty mild), it seemed to be fine until the last snowfall we had at the end of February. Shortly after that it's fronds all started to go brown and the brown/ yellow spots have since appeared.

The frond stems still seem to be strong, they don't come off with gentle tugging.

will it survive? Anything I can do to help

Please help

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  2. zenshack

zenshack Active Member

Anyone, help?

3. Aisya

Aisya Member

Well it does look in a bad way Zen,

Its a Trachicarpus, I have one but what type is yours, mine is a fortunei.

I would extremely carefully dig it up and look at the roots for Wireworm and/or Vine Weevil, they will be white larve.

http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/Environmental_Horticulture/Landscape/Problems/Diseases_of_Palm/

If the roots look ok. Carefully take a knife and gently scrape some stem to reveal brown or green....green obviosly means its alive. If so then pot it up and leave it if its wet.

Do not throw it away as it may be only frost damage, wait till the end of the summer.

4. zenshack

zenshack Active Member

Hi Aisya,

Thanks for the reply

It was a beast to plant so digging it up to look at the roots for pests is no small task, but thanks for the advise to not give up on it until the end of summer, I have hope.

I will also carefully check the colour within the stems.

Cheers

Zen