Selection Advice?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Anna Kadlec, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Anna Kadlec

Anna Kadlec Active Member 10 Years

I have recently built a backyard pond & stream and I'm looking for a small Japanese Maple for a pond-side specimen tree. I really love the gnarly branches and the small size of the dissectums like Crimson Queen, Red Dragon, Inabe Shidare, etc, but I have a couple of these already and I don't really like the thought of the dissectum leaf at pond-side (seems like it would be visually messy). Are there any Japanese Maples of the small gnarly form that aren't dissectums? Ideally, I'm looking for non-green-leaved varieties but I'm open to all suggestions.

2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Go small, medium, and large.

Pixe, purple ghost, fire glow or bloodgood.

3. DougieMapleSeed

DougieMapleSeed Active Member

I'm not sure, but by "gnarly" I assume you mean the growth habit of the dissectums, as in the overall shape of the branch structure. If I'm right in that assumption, I'm sorry but I don't think that any non-dissectums have this exact same structure. Having said that, there are plenty of interesting specimens to consider and I will suggest some. "Ryusen", which is a green palmate, has a very unique growth habit that is strongly weeping and can be spectacular if trained up and allowed to cascade down, or just allowed to cascade down some rocks or a wall. "Hana Matoi" is a dissectum but deserves attention because it is a dwarf and is colorfully variegated and strongly weeping. Acer s. "Autumn Moon" is a slightly different species but is one of my favorites for the leaf shape and color. "Shishigashira" is also very interesting with its crinkled leaves that clump together like a poodle with a stylish haircut. Mikawa Yatsubusa is a dwarf which is also a wise choice for its form and leaves that stack like shingles. A linearlobum like "Red Pygmy" is also something different that will attract attention. There are plenty more cultivars to consider, and I'm sure that some others on this board will have some more suggestions.

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I too love Hana matoi. Kawaii might be another good choice. When you say small, how 'small' do you mean? Also, what sort of sun/shade will the location receive? For a smaller (10-12' or so) red-leaved upright, I absolutely love Nuresagi - it has beautiful dark purple-black leaves in spring, does green out a little in summer, with wonderful red fall color. It also has a very elegant and refined air to it. Tsukushi gata is similar in size, with lovely chocolatey leaves in spring with green veins; in fall it is a kaleidoscope of yellow, orange and red (at least mine was this fall before the early cold bleached the leaves). Another one of my favorites. Olsen's Frosted Strawberry might be another good choice; smaller, rounder, but not a dissectum, with lovely pink/cream/green reticulation - another personal favorite of mine - but it can be harder to find. Worth it, though, in my opinion. Sherwood Elfin is very nice too, growth habit (in my experience) a little bit like Olsen's, ie smaller and rounder, with leaves a little bit more like those of a dissectum, and lovely dark purple. Aekan Ie's, Enkan, Beni ubi gohon, or another similar smaller red strap-leaf might be nice too.

5. Anna Kadlec

Thank you for your suggestions. I have already considered many of them, but there are some that I've not previously encountered. In answer to your questions:

When I said "small", I meant under 6-ft. Probably significantly smaller if the growth habit is dense. The space I have in mind is on the foreground (yard) side of the pond, in the waterfall area where the (50 ft) stream flows into the small (12 ft x 12 ft) pond. I want the Japanese Maple to obscure the view somewhat, to give the area added 'mystery' or interest. The Japanese Maple can't be too tall or too dense for that reason, but also because I don't want to block the views of the trees / shrubs on the far side of the pond (most notably a Weeping Katsura, but also a Paperbark Maple and several Rhododendrons).

Sun / Shade: The spot for the Japanese Maple gets full sun until around 3 pm. After 3, it's in full shade.

Leaf Colour: I am looking for something other than green because the yard is a half-acre in size mostly full of green leaved plants (from 60 ft cedar trees down to 3-in rhododendrons). Most of the plants have green leaves. The bulk of the shrubs that obscure the fence-lines are green leaved Rhododendrons. I'm looking for some contrast.

Other noteworthy considerations for my Japanese Maple. I have several Japanese Maples in my yard already, so I would like to add a different variety. I have planted Beni Otake at the other end of the stream, Inabe Shidare at the other end of the backyard, Villa Taranto in the border, Koto no Ito and Acer s. Autumn Moon are in pots on my back deck, Shishishagira is in a side border, and I bought a very small Mikawa Yatsubusa last summer without any specific plans for its location.

Thanks again for your help!

Anna

6. Anna Kadlec

...and yes, by 'gnarly' I meant the growth habit of the dissectums : )

7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Maybe a witch's broom type would be the answer? Under six feet (usually), and somewhat gnarly looking because of the short internodes, usually as broad as high but not weeping. 'Shaina' would be a good red variety of this type.

8. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

Too many good options to pick one so here is 3.

Ruby Ridge or Crumple Leaf
    Shaina
    Sherwood Elfin

Okay 5.

Pung kil red linearlobum
    Enkan red linearlobum

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014