Please Help My Sick Dragon Tree!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by F27, Mar 28, 2014.

1. F27

F27 New Member

I've got this sick dragon tree plant (I think its Dracaena Marginata), as you can see from the pics it’s not looking in good shape, recently the shoots on all but one of the stems just broke off and then it started shrivelling at the tips even now the ends feel squishy. I think that it’s probably been overwatered but is there any way of bringing it back from the brink? The one remaining shoot seems to be doing well but the rest looks in bad shape.

Is there any way I can get new shoots to propagate on the end of the bare stems? I heard you can cut further down, I tried that and it just shrivelled up again so do I need to go even further down?

Is there anything I can do about the two lower stems with the 'hanging on by a thread' shoots?

Can I replant the shoots which fell off back in the main pot? They don't seem to be doing so great either :(

Appreciate the help,

Attached Files:

2. Indignation

Indignation New Member

I agree about the over-watering suggestion (that or its been kept in a really cold place).

It might be saveable, and again you have made the suggestion I would put forward. Cut LOW down, way past the rotting / mushy tips. Basically you need to cut into healthy cane / stem to trigger it to produce additional "shoots".

3. F27

F27 New Member

Thank you for the reply, I have cut the cane very far down and its wet in the middle (I dont know if thats good or bad / healthy or not) after a few days where I have cut has shrivelled up but not to the extent when it cut it before.

I don't know how to promote anything growing out of those stems, they look pretty dead now.

Kinda dissapointed this thread didn't get more replies as other threads regarding help with this type have had pages! :(