Burnaby

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Mayling Chang, Mar 16, 2008.

1. xd1771

xd1771 Active Member

I'm curious why this beautiful row of Akebono on the northeast corner of Metrotown has never been posted on the map. It's an obvious one, and looks really nice on the walk between the SkyTrain station and Cattle Cafe.

Photo below was taken on March 31st.
    EDIT: Adding another photo from this same place last year that I still have, the quality isn't as good (old smartphone) but I feel the angle is better. I hope to take an even better photo soon/someday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Brody Woods added this location to our festival map. It's on Cascade Street near 15th Avenue. Brody wrote:

Attached Files:

3. jkolba

jkolba New Member

There is a beautiful Shirotae nestled along a residential fence along Rumble Street, about one block west of Griffiths Drive. It is beside some other cherry trees that have not yet bloomed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. jkolba

jkolba New Member

There are three Shirotae in bloom at 5300 block of Rumble (about 1/2 block east of Royal Oak, across the street from the high school).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  5. jkolba

jkolba New Member

This is a nice Pendula Rosea on a residential lot on Portland Street at the corner of Hedley Avenue.

Attached Files:

6. jkolba

jkolba New Member

This is a really nice Tai Haku on Willingdon Avenue near the intersection with Willingdon Extension.

7. wcutler

In the order in which I saw them this evening, a nice two blocks of several 'Akebono' (finished blooming), with one sweet cherry in bloom, down and up McKay at Southwood.
    20130415_McKayPortland_Akebono_Cutler_P1420369.jpg 20130415_McKayPortland_Akebono_Cutler_P1420370.jpg

Travelling east on Southwood, 'Beni-shidare' around six houses east from McKay, and another just before Sussex, according to my photo of the street sign taken after the photo of the tree, but I can't find anything on streetview that looks like this house. The third 'Beni-shidare' is on Rumble at Gray, at the South Burnaby United Church. I didn't get out of my car to look closely to see if any of these had double blossoms.
    20130415_SouthwoodMcKay_Beni-shidare_Cutler_P1420372.jpg 20130415_SouthwoodSussex_Beni-shidare_Cutler_P1420373.jpg 20130415_RumbleGray_Beni-shidare_Cutler_P1420376.jpg

8. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby - Eagle Creek Ravine

Some nice blossoms now at Lawrence & Camrose just north off Lougheed Highway west of Eagle Creek Ravine (exit Greenwood if heading westward on Lougheed). A couple nice Kanzens plus a weird graft of pink and white blossoms plus another weeping tree with very small blossoms.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  9. jkolba

jkolba New Member

A beautiful 'Ukon' at the corner of Willingdon and Imperial. Currently showing white flowers with red leaves.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  10. jkolba

jkolba New Member

Neville Street between Royal Oak and Gilley is looking particularly lovely right now. Lots of Kanzan in bloom, including a few mutants (have both the pink Kanzan and white sweet cherry flowers). At least four Shirofugan on this stretch too, but they are not yet blooming.

Attached Files:

11. wcutler

My friend Joe Condie photographed a whole street of 'Shirofugen' cherries for me on Malvern east from Burris.

Attached Files:

12. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

The nine trees of Prunus serrula, across from the Nikkei Centre at Southoaks Crescent and Kingsway, are in as full a bloom as it gets for Tibetan birch bark cherry, on May 5, 2013.

Attached Files:

13. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

When a Bird looks like it can take on a Tree: the Hummingbird of Project Sequoia at 6077 Kingsway/Waltham looms over both 'Shirofugen' and 'Kanzan' on May 4, 2013.

Project Sequoia was a 2007 community carving event using the the rootball of an uprooted sequoia from the site for the giant bird and a western red cedar trunk salvaged from Stanley Park for the equally gigantic sunflower.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  14. Blossomfollower

Blossomfollower New Member

The first two photos were taken today, March 29, 2014 at Sussex and Rumble (these Whitcomb trees run from Imperial south past Rumble to Carson), the first photo looking south from Rumble and the second photo looking north from near Irmin. The third photo shows a closer view of blossoms at this location on March 13, 2014.

Attached Files:

15. Blossomfollower

Akebono trees beginning to bloom on McKay Ave in South Burnaby (between Irmin and Carson), March 29, 2014.

(Note: David Gray Park at Irmin & McKay, just north of Rumble St., might be a good spot to start a walk south on McKay, taking in views of the blossoms descending downhill and Richmond agricultural land in the distance. There are also two rows of plums blooming right now behind Fair Haven Lodge on the east side of Mckay between Irmin & Rumble. Also, McKay street is on the Sea to River Bikeway, if you're looking for a nice spring bike ride.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  16. Blossomfollower

Trees on Clinton St. just east of Royal Oak (between Roslyn and MacPherson) starting to bloom, March 29, 2014.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  17. Blossomfollower

This individual tree was identified by Wendy in 2013 as a 'Beni-shidare' (reply #82). It's located on Southwood St. between McKay and Sussex (on the north side of the street & closer to Mckay). It is in full bloom right now (photo taken March 29, 2014).

Attached Files:

18. Blossomfollower

Weeping cherry on Ewart St. (a couple houses east of McGregor) in South Burnaby (about a block west of Royal Oak). There is also another cherry in bloom across the street (third photo) and several Akebono trees starting to bloom on McGregor just north of Ewart (fourth photo). Photos taken March 30, 2014.

Attached Files:

19. Blossomfollower

Large weeping tree (cultivar?) at the corner of Patrick St. and Royal Oak Ave. in South Burnaby. Photo taken March 30, 2014.

Attached Files:

20. Blossomfollower

Large old tree in full bloom in front of a lovely old house on McGregor just south of Rumble St. in South Burnaby. Photo taken March 30, 2014. (Note: several small Akebono trees starting to bloom a couple blocks further south on McGregor)

Attached Files:

21. wcutler

I'm thinking we should call the weeping tree on Ewart ito-zakura, as it doesn't seem dark enough to be 'Beni-shidare'.

I can't see the flowers well enough on the tall tree across the street on Ewart. Blossomfollower, do you remember, are they single blossoms? The pruning doesn't seem to have affected the basic upright shape, so maybe o-yama-zakura? It looks like there are new green, not bronze, leaves, so not 'Rancho'.

Thanks for all these new locations for our map!

22. wcutler

Dark weeping tree on Patrick is 'Beni-shidare'. That's what I mean about the the Ewart tree not seeming dark enough, in comparison to this one.

The tree on McGregor with the double blossoms is 'Accolade', an unusually nice one.

23. Blossomfollower

Thanks for the cultivar names. I didn't get a close look at the second tree on Ewart. I'll have to take another look.

24. Blossomfollower

A closer look at the blossoms on the very upright tree on Ewart (near McGregor)

Attached Files:

25. wcutler

They're looking pretty 'Akebono'-like. Douglas Justice always talks about how upright the 'Akebono' branches are, and all I can ever see are horizontal lines, but it's very clear on that example.