Mystery crassula & droopy growth

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Honeysuckle, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Honeysuckle

Honeysuckle Active Member

I have a crassula (top view, side view) that grows in a large rosette pattern and produces pink flowers. It's not an uncommon variety - can anyone id it?

My second question relates to the droopy growth of one of its babies. Here's a closeup of the tip. Unlike the mama plant, the baby plant looks more stretched out, not like a rosette. It had been doing okay until this winter and sits in a location where it actually gets more light than before (though still not full sun; it gets a mix of direct and dappled sun throughout the day). In the past couple of weeks, the tip has started to turn bright pink* too. At first, I wondered if it could be ready to flower but I haven't seen any signs of a flower stalk. Any ideas what's going on? Should I move it back to its lower light spot (north-facing, with little direct sun) or increase watering (I tend to water infrequently)?

*Update: Photo of pink, droopy tip

2. Honeysuckle

Or is it a type of kalanchoe? I couldn't find any matching images on the web...

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

How about Cotyledon orbiculata?

4. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

I was thinking it might be a kind of Aeonium. Don't know which one though. That one with the drooping tip does look suspiciously like a flowering stem. If you [unknowingly ] took a cutting of a flowering stem that could be what is happening. I don't know what will happen to it.

5. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Found this Echeveria on line that resembles your growth pattern for the 'baby'. It's called Echeveria Topsy Turvy or E. runyonii. Probably not your species as it has a yellow flower, but the similar droopy stem caught my eye.

Harry

6. Dee M.

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well Honeysuckle, the droopy growth is the part of the plant about to flower. My first instinct tells me it's Echiveria, but without spending a few hours trying to nail it's ID down...

Cheers.

8. Honeysuckle

Re: Cotyledon ?

Thanks for your input so far. I don't think it's an echeveria (definitely not 'Topsy Turvy') or aeonium. It is something very much like a Cotyledon orbiculata, although the round leaves are more incurved than flat (like this kalanchoe thyrsiflora that I also have).

My plants came from the plant pictured below - I found a couple (less-than-great) photos of the mama plant in flower (see attachments for a top view & side view).

Attached Files:

9. Dee M.

I think you may be on to something, the flowers do like more a Kalanchoe's then the others. I don't think this is it but here is a picture of a Bryophyllum [it used to be a Kalanchoe] and it's flowers, see what you think. With the picture of it's flower I bet someone will identify it.
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/36973/

10. Honeysuckle

Re: Mystery crassula/kalanchoe flower

Guess what, you're right! I was starting to doubt that it was a flowering stalk but upon closer inspection yesterday, I can just make out the tiniest flecks of pink color in the buds that are forming at its tips!

11. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

So is it still a mystery? I find it difficult to distinguish one cactus/succulent from another.

12. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Honeysuckle,
    Good news! If you can, post a pic once it shows well. I'd like to see it!

Cheers, LPN.

13. Honeysuckle

Re: Echeveria pallida

I'll buy that! I didn't even think it was an echeveria - seemed too big but now the mystery is solved. Thanks so much, Rosemarie!

The buds haven't opened yet but here is the latest photo of my flowering stalk.

Attached Files:

14. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Beautiful flower shot! Glad to help! I have quite a few Echeveria in my collection of succulents! :)

15. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Try poting a new one in a sunny local, the growth and shape should resemble true to the Echeveria hybrid, but then it already does, either way try it in a rockery?

16. Honeysuckle

Re: Echeveria pallida flowers

Just a couple more photos since my echeveria flowers have opened. They are amazingly bright pink - so pretty!

Attached Files: