Dicentra or...?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by LizzyFaire, Mar 24, 2014.

1. LizzyFaire

LizzyFaire Active Member

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Appeared spontaneously this spring, in Doug fir forest in the Pacific North/Southwest. I'd appreciate your input, maybe bleeding heart?

Thanks,
    Lizzy

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not bleeding heart (it has hairs). Can you be a bit more specific about location?

3. LizzyFaire

LizzyFaire Active Member

Yes, it's in a disturbed location (logged 30 years ago), mostly Douglas fir, red alder and elderberry, with open pastures, on South Whidbey Island in Washington state. This is tucked underneath a Douglas fir with trailing blackberry running through. It's springing up beside a hairy honeysuckle. It's unlike anything on the 10 acres we have, and I have been over that site with a fine-tooth comb and identified pretty well everything except the mushrooms. It's unique and new; pity it's not a Dicentra formosa, I'm looking to plant some.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks, that helps.

Do some investigation into Osmorhiza berteroi, and see how that compares.

5. LizzyFaire

LizzyFaire Active Member

Yes, you could well be right, Daniel, thank you. I will continue to observe and see if it flowers. Just tell me it isn't noxious and I have to rip it out! (Just kidding. That would be like most of my pretty volunteers).

6. Daniel Mosquin

If that is what it is, it's a native species. Not as showy as something like Dicentra, but it has its own subtle charm.

7. LizzyFaire

LizzyFaire Active Member

Then I'll await seeds and place it in my native flower bed. Thanks again.