Composting Maple Leaves with Rust

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by johnnyjumpup, Mar 4, 2014.

1. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I have 42 large bags of wet sugar maple leaves collected mid November last year. I noticed that quite a few had brown pimples on the surfaces as I was raking them up. Might this be rust? I have quite a few Japanese maples and do not want to risk infecting them with rust.

I had planned to make a leaf pile down at the bottom of my garden (near the raspberries).
    I was going to shred them and mix them with horse manure to speed up the process. Now I don't want to spread the spores by shredding them. I would like to know the best way to use these leaves. Could I make a pile, add some manure and cover with an old carpet to keep the spores from spreading. Will the rust remain viable even after a year or two. I don't want to introduce disease into my vegetable and flower and shrub beds.

Should I leave the leaves in the transparent plastic bags for a few years? Should I just bury them in part of the yard and sod over the top?

Thank you for any help.

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

Thanks, Salt Cedar,

I think they are maple leaf bladder galls. I read the link. Thank you. Thankfully, not rust, then. Any thoughts on best practices for turning them into compost or leaf mould? I see the mites overwinter in bark crevices. Maybe the mites had already exited the leaves by the time I raked them up. It snowed two days after I collected the 43 (!) bags and they are still under a couple of feet of snow. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping the snow will be going soon. I had crocuses and snowdrops, etc blooming this time last year. I am so ready for spring.