Pinyon pine seedlings

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Winterfell, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Winterfell

Winterfell Member

I just received a batch of pinus edulis seedlings and I am very pleased with the purchase. I received 25 container seedlings for 60 dollars American. that price included shipping via fed ex. thank you Texas forestry service.

I really enjoy pinyon pines, they are great little trees. Many of these will eventually be rootstock for our native pinyon, pinus remota, because I have had little luck collecting viable seed from that species.

Forestry suppliers are the best source for seedlings in my opinion. Nurseries are not as concerned about the long term survival or viability of the plant and sell pot bound material with root problems more often than not.

These will be planted in larger tree pots for the next two years and hopefully then ready to graft and or plant.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very nice. We attempted to collect pinyon pine several years ago when the opportunity came up during a broader expedition, but had no luck as other animals got to them first (of course, we were attempting to find some in old cones -- that was a fruitless 30 minute search).

3. Winterfell

Winterfell Member

The pinyons on the western edge of the Edwards plateau in central west Texas, pinus remota, or pinus cembroides var. remota, produce cone crops sporadically over an interval of several years. Last time I collected a crop the seed I gathered wasn't sound (admittedly I was a little late) Of course I will try again next fall and if you or the garden is interested I will happily contribute some. But failing that, my collection of remota is a grafting project maybe 2 years away.

I've collected a few different species and varieties now. Down the road, I'm interested in if some of the isolated Mexican species will hybridize with more cold tolerant edulis and monophylla.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for the kind offer of sharing, but we doubted it would succeed in this climate -- just that we were in the area and had the opportunity to attempt to collect.

Will have to live vicariously through your successes!

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well worth a try in the UBC gardens - most pinyons are doing well in not just southeast England, but even southeast Scotland. Very good drainage and full sun is important though.

The Mexican species are worth trying too and hardier than you might think. Pp. cembroides, culminicola, johannis and nelsonii are all doing well at RBG Edinburgh and have come through the recent 3 cold winters undamaged, and P. orizabensis is doing well long-term at Kew.