Rose Epiphytes

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by philpense, Feb 10, 2014.

1. philpense

philpense New Member

Have a young relative with an affinity towards roses. Good opportunity to introduce her to a scientific discipline. In particular, symbiosis. It is my understanding that there are microbial lifeforms known as epiphytes that might be found on flowers including roses.

It is also my understanding that some a harmful and some benign. Depending on the scholarship of the forum membership for some specific identities to start with. Much thanks in advance for an informed opinion

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I typically associate the term epiphyte with a macro-organism living on a plant (e.g., bromeliads on palm trees or lichens on an oak tree).

With respect to micro-organisms living on or in rose blossoms, I do vaguely recall something about this in the past few years (someone else on the forum wrote about this? plants in the news? or, given my fading memory, even something from Botany Photo of the Day?). Can't find anything on the topic with Google, though, so...

3. philpense

philpense New Member

Much thanks for your timely reply. Just passed the fourth month of queries.. very few even bother to reply so yours is appreciated. I consider this important but not urgent so if you find such an instance I would very much like to know about it.

Cordially