Cutting Back Epimedium

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Roy Sinn, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

I have a variety of epimedium that pushes up very early in the year. Right now there are red bumps about 1" above ground. I like to cut down the old epimedium early each year, before the new leaves sprout so I don't have to work around the new growth. Is it too early to cut back this epimedium?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I was looking at the Farmer's Almanac. We shouldn't be expecting a huge dump of snow or excessively cold temperatures in our area of Canada.

My opinion is that you can clean up the plants now.

If it gets colder than anticipated, you can always cover them.

3. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Thanks David. I was afraid that cold weather might bite at the new growth but the forecast sounds good. This weekend looks like a good time to do it.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Environment Canada is forecasting arctic air here for next week, with -5 C Wednesday morning, the last day of the forecast period. You might want to wait until that arctic air is gone.

5. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Thanks vitog. I'll keep my secateurs holstered for a few more days.

6. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Epimediums are very tough! Rather than tediously cutting with secateurs, you can grab several stems and give a quick upward yank. Try it.

7. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Thanks. I will give it a try, Debby. I usually grab, twist and cut a large bundle at a time. Not too tedious but just yanking would definitely go faster.