Identification: Ficus Benjamina?...extra small leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Imperfect Ending, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Imperfect Ending

Imperfect Ending Active Member

This was labeled as Ficus Benjamina but the leaves and distance between the leaves are extra small.., people at the nursery weren't being too clear with their explanation either so what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like one that was asked about elsewhere, with everyone except me saying it was a weeping fig. I think this one is another species also, there are hundreds of them.

3. Imperfect Ending

They were trying to tell me that "bonsai" techniques were probably used but I don't see how... Even with leaf plucking, I don't see any plucked spot.

Attached Files:

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks pretty much like a weeping fig to me. The leaf is more recurved and the leaf stem is more stout than typical but then there are many variations to this plant. Perhaps the differences you noted are due to cultural techniques used by the grower. Citrus trees marketed as indoor plants often appear as miniature specimens with small sized leaves and close inter-leaf distances. However they assume more normal proportions when given proper light and nutrient levels. I'd like to know how they inhibit the growth of these plants.

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ficus benjamina 'Kiki'?

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>The leaf is more recurved and the leaf stem is more stout than typical<

Same as on the other example, which was much bigger - and planted in the ground. It will at least be a weeping fig variant, if not another species. Maybe if you check the 'Kiki' it will be quite apparently the same. Now that that name has been put forward a fig looking like yours, with a name like that seems familiar - I may have seen it at outlets here.

7. Imperfect Ending

It does look like a 'Kiki', I will assume that it is. It's hard to find a non-bonsai picture of this plant.
    Thank you very much.