Maple Syrup

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by KrisB, Dec 25, 2013.

1. KrisB

KrisB Member

Does anyone in the Fraser Valley tap their big leaf maples for syrup? I know you need below freezing nights and above freezing days in late winter, so is our climate too moderate?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I did it years ago and made a small amount of tasty maple syrup. However, my impression was that the Bigleaf Maple trees produced sap with less sugar than that of the eastern maples. It needed to be boiled down a lot and would not be economical unless you burn free wood for the heat source.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I've produced moderate amounts of big leaf syrup, and as vitog notes it takes a lot: the ratio is 40 parts sap = 1 part syrup. Drinking the unrefined sap is also pretty good: it's like water with an infusion of maple syrup.

It's rare we get appropriate weather, though. Around here, where a few people are producing syrup, everyone keeps an eye on the forecast and has their gear (such as it is: a plug/drain, some attached tubing, and a jug/bucket) ready to go. The best trees seem to be younger to middle aged--especially those with multiple young'ish stems. When the sap runs, it produces quite well. Red Alder also produces an appropriate sap for reducing to syrup as well, though I've never tried....

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. KrisB

KrisB Member

Thank-you! I think I'm going to try it this year. =o)