Identification: Possible orchids?..

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by TotalAlina, Dec 1, 2013.

1. TotalAlina

TotalAlina Active Member 10 Years

Dear All,

I've always thought these were orchids, but they have so stubbornly refused to bloom that I need to double-check. I've had them for 2-3 years, they are planted in bark + peat moss, they have air roots, they are allowed to dry off between waterings, they have grown very lush by comparison to when I got them, and they _just_don't_bloom_.

Are they orchids? What kind? (I have that catch-22 that I don't know which ones they are, so I can't look up good care advice.) Any tips on getting them to bloom?

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Photo 1 shows Sansevieria sp; 2 a Dendrobium.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

First pic looks more like sansevieria hahnii, not orchid. 2nd looks more orchid like but not certain. Some one with better know how will chime in on #2.

4. Ficustreephilo

Ficustreephilo New Member

sansevieria rarely blooms indoors, and if it does its flowers aren't really that good looking anyway. If you wish to try keep it pot bound they like that and you may get blooms, also give more light.

5. TotalAlina

TotalAlina Active Member 10 Years

There was a lot of wishful thinking on my end, I was hoping it was a phal orchid, they are sometimes mottled like that. But you are all definitely correct, it's sansevieria...

Any one tip on getting dendrobium to bloom? The biggest problems in our house are light (pretty low, although I can vary that a bit by choosing a window) and temperatures (pretty cold on the windowsill). I have read that dendrobium is not too needy, but apparently needy enough that it doesn't like what I have to offer.

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Get rid of the standing water on the Sansevieria to avoid root rot. Do not fertilize and give them
    as much sun as you can. Grown hard (dryish) they can bloom. Some smell awesome, others not so much.

7. Ficustreephilo

why don't you get an artifical light i to have low light but i use an artifical light from lietners they recently shut down sadly- a 60 watt bulb, on a clip on light.

8. Ficustreephilo

why don't you get an artifical light i too have low light but i use an artifical light from lietners they recently shut down sadly- a 60 watt bulb, on a clip on light.

9. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

My S. trifasciata is huge and ancient, given to me by my mom about 30 years ago.
    In summer it resides on my back patio, where it receives partial shade.

About 5 years ago, much to my surprise and delight, this plant bloomed for me! Since then it has done so every year, sending up multiple flower stalks, the record being 7.

The flowers are lovely: white with long stamens, and what a delectable fragrance they produce! When in full bloom, with multiple flowers on ditto stalks, this plant is a magnificent sight---and scent.

10. Ficustreephilo

its very rare that they bloom in cultivation i think you got lucky hay if you wait long enough anything can happen right. some plants have to be really old to bloom and snake plant is one of them.