The starting of fall colors for 2013

Discussion in 'Maples' started by amazingmaples, Oct 8, 2013.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

2. DougieMapleSeed

DougieMapleSeed Active Member

Great video once again. What is the upright green cultivar at 6 min 11 sec in the video?

3. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for sharing the beautiful color of those maples. How is the color this year compares with the 2011 video?.

Steven

4. amazingmaples

I think it will be hard to beat the video from fall 2011of my inventory trees. this years color in the garden is really nice, the Amber Ghost glows along with a few others.

In my yard i have had several trees go brown :( but there are some are wonderful.

I also have a lot more larger trees this year and can not move them around as I did to get the video in 2011. That year i spend a day or two just moving tres to get trees which only had great color. too busy and tired to do that this year.

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Beautiful garden! The maples are amazing and the garden is extraordinary!

Love the clean lines of the planting areas by the house and the hardscapes and walkways throughout. Great use of contrasting colors. I am sure the use of all the garden elements and evergreens, passes the winter test of a great 4 season garden. It very much reminds me of a Japanese stroll garden.

I am sure the people in the condo's across the lake have a great view of colors from their balcony.

Love the stone arrangement in the front. Very cool! Sure it took some heavy machinery to move those into place. We use feather rock, since we lack heavy machinery for our stone arrangements (they are on a much smaller scale too)

You mention Amber Ghost, I agree that it's a great and beautiful tree that always seems to amaze me during the growing season, especially in fall.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. DougieMapleSeed

What is the upright green cultivar at 6 min 11 sec in the video?

7. amazingmaples

It is a Mikawa yatsubusa. That is strange i thought i replyed to that earlier but I now do not see my reply?? Humm I must have forgot to post it.

It is about 6' tall and 7' wide, it would be large but I keep it pruned to that size.

8. DougieMapleSeed

How old is that Mikawa Yatsubusa? I have one that is like 4 years old and it is less than a foot tall and is barely branched at all. It has grown so slowly that I can hardly imagine it ever getting as big as yours in my lifetime. Also the internode length on mine is like 1mm, is yours similar? I love the form of your tree!

9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The 'Mikawa yatsubusa' slows way down in growth rate once it leaves the PNW climate.

I got mine from Buchholz as a 10 gallon. It is 3.5' (T&W) and was about 10 years old. They have much older offerings in the 20 gallon size. Once mine was acclimated to my climate, it slowed down substantially.

I have seen them from other growers and they just don't grow them as well as Buchholz. I have seen some that are more upright from Bizon nursery though.

My advice is to get one from out west if you need size. They get 3 good pushes of new growth out there to get some size on the tree. Then once it gets to your area it will almost stop growing. I have some smaller ones and a few growing as bonsai and I get the internode length of 1mm on it that you talk of. The larger 3.5' one in the landscape is closer to 1/3" - 1/2" internode length now that it's here, but had closer to 1 1/3" during the first season here.

10. amazingmaples

That Mikawa in the video is 16 years old. I bought it in a 24" box in 2010 from Iseli Nursery. It was not the largest of the three I bought that year but I loved the shape. There is still one of that generate trees at iseli and I bet it is about 9' tall or taller.

There is no doubt that they grow trees bigger and faster in Oregon.

11. amazingmaples

here are some photos from the garden

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      480.6 KB
      Views:
    • 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      254 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      489.5 KB
      Views:
    • 052.jpg
      052.jpg
      File size:
      235.5 KB
      Views:
    • 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      404.1 KB
      Views:
    • 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      436.9 KB
      Views:
  12. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Fall colors have really come on strong this past week. 15-20% of my maples have not developed any color yet, but most are in their prime right now.

Attached Files:

13. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Right now, only two are showing Fall color in my collection; Koto no ito and Sharp's Pygmy. The rest have a long way to go.

Attached Files:

14. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is my other Sharp's Pygmy at peak, but lost some leaves due to wind and rain.

Attached Files:

15. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is Sango Kaku and some flowers with the colors of early fall in the landscape as a backdrop.

Attached Files:

16. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Not as spectacular as yours, but I had to move some pots to work around the garden, and I put them in a spot where i can see them when sitting at the kitchen table. Some of them are still green, but the Sango Kaku displays very showy colours, and the taller light red one in the center of the picture is an air-layer from the main species Acer p. palmatum.

The tree on the far left is not a maple, it's a guest star, Liquidambar styraciflua.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  17. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Beautiful combination of colors and texture. What variety is the one in the blue pot, front right, and appears to be variegated?

18. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks, all credits for mother nature.

The one you mention is A. p. 'Butterfly'.

19. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Nice job developing fullness on a variety, if left untamed has a strong upright and leggy growth habit in that stage of life.

20. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just looking out of my kitchen window while preparing lunch on what has been a dreary damp miserable cold alltogether non eventful day in northern England, and this ray of sunshine (re the acers) chears me up no end!!! All the work through the spring and summer months of planting moving digging etc etc begins to pay off for a few delightful weeks which we all look forward to with anticipation and delight!!!

Acers you just have to love them :-) bring on 2014

Attached Files:

21. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Beautiful! The raw sky really sets the colors off and the absence of sun glare makes the colors even more pure and deep. Very cool contrast. I never knew a dreary day to be so beautiful.

22. amazingmaples

Here are more fall colors

Attached Files:

• 035.jpg
      035.jpg
      File size:
      496.5 KB
      Views:
    • 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      571.3 KB
      Views:
    • 037.jpg
      037.jpg
      File size:
      670.1 KB
      Views:
    • 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      631.2 KB
      Views:
    • 041.jpg
      041.jpg
      File size:
      530 KB
      Views:
    • 043.jpg
      043.jpg
      File size:
      665 KB
      Views:
    • 107.jpg
      107.jpg
      File size:
      529.4 KB
      Views:
    • 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      346 KB
      Views:
    • 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      558.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  23. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Fantastic variation of trees and colours always a pleasure to view your collection,hope mine look half as good as yours in later years!!

One thing that really suprised me with my acers are the different variations of colours that appear to be there but you seem to miss them in natural day light ? Picture one was taken last evening Sunday 20th at 22.30 picture two taken today Mon 21st at 13.30 now do my eyes decieve me or does there seem to be more green on pic 1 than pic 2

The only reason i took the picture of the Vitifolium in the dark was because i had to go to my workshop at the top of the yard and the security light illuminated the tree and when i looked i just saw colours that to me i couldn't see in the daylight, or could it be that in less than 15 hours the leaves have completly changed, i can still se green now but not as pronounced on the Sunday evening I do tend to wonder round the garden at nights and there is definitely a better showing of colours with artifical light

Attached Files:

24. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

love the yellow of the pine and ginkgo. What are they?

25. amazingmaples

Ginkgo biloba 'Tschi tschi' AND Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph'