Orange crocosma

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Barbara Lloyd, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I know the red form of Crocosmia is generally called Lucifer and blooms earlier in the year, but I have never known the common or botanical name for the orange one that is blooming now. Can someone give me some ideas?

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

[WIKI]Crocosmia × crocosmiiflora[/WIKI] hybrids. There are many named cultivars too, that are usually improved versions. In the UK we call them montbretia.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Various cultivars on the market these days but the dominant common ones in the landscape remain 'Lucifer' (a bi-generic hybrid rather than a true Crocosmia) and what is taken to be typical C. x crocosmiiflora - without any cultivar name attached.

4. Barbara Lloyd

Thanks maf and Ron. Guess I'll just stick with - Many hybrids. Red could be "Lucifer", Orange ones and Yellow ones. If they want more info I'll send them here. I have a Master Gardener booth to man tomorrow and planned to put out a vase full of what's currently blooming in my garden. I just know they will ask "what?" each is. ;) barb

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

The more orange I enjoy too, but the slightly darker 'Lucifer' for example, sure makes for a nice flower portrait.

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

True 'Lucifer' is a definite, almost or actual tomato red; less red seedlings have been grown in its place - although I don't know if any of these have been in commerce. I have seen people growing them in private gardens here more than once. They look just like 'Lucifer' but are not red.

7. Barbara Lloyd

Some one here in town has a whole 60 X 10, or so, bank planted with what looks like Lucifer and it is show stopping. I decided to leave out the crocosmia. They where a bit beyond prime so the arrangement consisted of "Black Magic" roses with Leycesteria (sp?) stuck here and there. Received a lot of good comments. Thanks for all your help! barb

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. Ron B

Leycesteria.

9. Barbara Lloyd

Knowing the proper name gets me some points. I'll work on the spelling. Thanks Ron ;)))

10. KarenH

KarenH New Member

Crocosmia, actually! I have both the orange and red varieties. Orange one's common name is: Emberglow which I just purchased this August. Hummingbirds love them.

11. Ron B

'Emberglow' is one of many named forms that have been offered. It is not the common, original C. x crocosmiiflora grown under the species name only, without cultivar designation.

12. KarenH

KarenH New Member

Ok, thanks, Ron. Don't know all the proper names. Just know what I bought.

13. malcolm197

malcolm197 Active Member

I think you should always plant named cultivars. Alledgedly the species is very invasive.I had one in my previous garden planted before my time (which may have been the species or an unknown named orange cultivar) which after a slow start became so rampant that I had to dig it out completely. The way it propagates itself is by generating fresh corms in vertical strings that pull themselves down into the soil one below another. If you need to dig it out, say to move it or divide you have to dig deep.

If you are patient you can also propagate it from seed ( I think Lucifer comes approximately true from seed )

Malcolm

14. Ron B

I think incorrect (orange) 'Lucifer' seen here are seedlings.