Polish Piekny Jas "Beautiful Johnny" Runner Bean

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Konachick, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Konachick

Konachick Active Member

Hi all, my community garden plot neighbour gave me these great beans to try growing next year. They are a Polish runner bean called Piekny Jas (translated to "Beautiful Johnny"), but when I got them home and opened them up to dry there was one pod with purple beans. As you can see, the others are snow white, so I was a little bit surprised! Does anyone have experience with this type of bean and is it normal that some are purple? Or do you think this is another type of bean?

I haven't run into her at the garden again since she gave them to me, but I will ask when I see her again. Any thoughts from the board would be great though! Also, please feel free to share any tips for growing this type of bean since I've only grown bush beans (and this was my first year doing so!). Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The purple one looks just like a Scarlet Runner seed.

3. Konachick

Konachick Active Member

Thanks vitog! I found some pics on the internet of scarlet runner bean seeds and they look exactly the same. I think I'll try planting those in a different spot in my garden next year!

Still, if anyone can share info about the Piekny Jas beans that would be great! I can't seem to find much info (in English at least --- maybe there's lots in Polish!) about this variety.

Thanks!

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Open this page and use Google to translate into English.