Vitis coignetiae Questions

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by petauridae, Aug 7, 2006.

1. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Hi...

I am thinking about planting this vine in my rather small yard and training it up a pole to cover a second story window of an obnoxious neighbour, but I have a couple of questions (I live in zone 6b):

1) Will V. coignetiae grow on a metal pole or will its tendrils slip off?
    2) How deep & extensive a root system do Vitis sp. have?
    3) Is V. coignetiae 'invasive/semi-invasive' like Trumpet Vine or Virginia Creeper?

Thanks in advance...

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

1: it will do better with some grip - could be a series of hose clamps on a metal pole.
    2: very extensive but rarely a problem as the individual roots tend to be relatively small.
    3: I find no reference to invasiveness. It is (relative to other vitis) somewhat difficult to start from cuttings, but does well by layering so you might want to watch for that. It is a native of Japan which covers quite a range of climates including yours.

It can take a year of getting established but after that - watch out!

Ralph

3. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Thanks Ralph!

A couple more--if you don't mind!--

4) The Walla Walla Valley, though dry in the summer (think south Okanagan) is apparently quite good for edible grape growing so I'm thinking this will grow OK also--right?
    5) What do you mean by hose clamps?

I would be buying the plant already started from a nursery so there would not be a worry with cuttings--they'd already have seen to it being started.

4. Ralph Walton

Sorry for the delay in replying.
    4) Walla Walla (great name!) should be fine. it's listed as hardy and you won't have any ripening concerns anyway.
    5) Hose clamp = gear clamp. Automotive parts supplier. See: http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/chx.cfm

My reference to layering was relative to invasiveness, as in blackberry vines self layering.

Ralph

5. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Aahhh....got it.

Thanks!

And yes, the Walla Walla Valley does actually exist...and not just in Bugs Bunny cartoons!

6. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Resurrecting an old thread. Ralph Walton menioned:
    2: very extensive but rarely a problem as the individual roots tend to be relatively small.
    Does this apply to all grape vines or the particular vine mentioned in the first post.
    I just planted acConcord 2 feet away from the back corner of our garage which is away from the attached house foundations, sewers and other utilities. Ralph response would suggest that it should be OK beacuse " (roots are) very extensive but rarely a problem as the individual roots tend to be relatively small" if his statement apply to all grapes. Is my assumption OK?

7. Ralph Walton

All of them. It is said "Never say never", but I have never heard of structural damage from grape vine roots. I wouldn't put one near a septic field as the roots (like many others) are very good at seeking out and exploiting a moisture and nutrient source, however a foundation should be safe.

Ralph

8. boizeau

boizeau Member

Vitis Coignetiae is not really 'invasive', but it is one gigantic vine when it is happy, with shoots growing in excess of 25 feet/season. The leaves can be a foot across. It is not a vine for a small yard or apartment. I really like it for its adaptation to cool maritime climates like the Pacific Coast. Imagine a rival plant for Western Hemlock and Vine Maples.
    I believe it is more cool hardy than cold hardy.
    Have used it in breeding and seems to be a good parent for making hybrid grapes.
    It will seed down a bit, but nothing like a weed.

9. boizeau

boizeau Member

Re: Vitis coignetiae Breeding

It is a shame that folks in the Puget Sound region have not worked with this unusual species for developing a hybrid direct producer. Of all the species, it is the most perfectly matched for our cool maritime weather.
    Fruit, is, well not that great, but could be crossed to a decent French hybrid.
    I have a few Coignetiae hybrids in my garden in Snohomish, WA.