Saprophyte? at Outerbridge Park (Victoria)

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by JohnHarvey, Sep 4, 2013.

1. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Hey!

Outerbridge park is a small gem in Victoria - if you haven't been, it is worth the visit. It's a real mixed bag of native plants and garden store species (some really invasive). Horticultural Centre of the Pacific is taking care of the place.

Anyway - I was walking though on Sunday night and found these little plants under a Rhodo (It's a Rhodo leaf in the background). The are about 10cm tall (or shorter) and the flower is roughly the size of a dime to quarter. I didn't see any leaves. They don't look like something you find at GardenWorks, but I can't find them in my local guide books. Can anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks!

John

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey John, long-time no-see.

This is a species of Cyclamen, some species of which are starting to be recognized as invasive in the PNW (see this PDF from GOERT).

3. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Daniel - I'm impressed you remember me! I have two young children which reduces my time for taking photos of plants. That said, the oldest (now three) is growing up appreciating the local plants - she is pressing flowers (road side Clover) and enjoys walks in the local allotment garden.

Thanks for the link - fascinating reading.

John

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

This is C. hederifolium, which starts bloomimg in late summer when the rains arrive. I actually bought my first specimen at Gardenworks years ago, and it has multiplied significantly. However, it shouldn't spread too far in an urban setting like Burnaby.

5. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Thanks Vitog! I think I'm going to have to go back to Gardenworks to study up on my invasives!

John