"Limon" tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Darby, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Darby

Darby New Member

I have a "Limon Tree" that I have had for about 12 years. It now produces about 150 great Limons a year. I have taken many cuttings off of it for friends with great success. I used to be able to search the internet to find out about this tree, however for some reason I can no longer find it listed anywhere?
    I have about 15 other Citrus trees that I really enjoy. I hope to learn more about them through this site.
    Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  2. Darby

Darby New Member

The question I have ( that I forgot to post) was that for the past 2-3 years when my plants are outside, the new limons,lemons and all of my citrus fruit seem to get half or partially eaten by some bug at night when they are about the size of a pea.
    I thought it may be earwigs and set out traps to no avail. I did have many Japanese beetles that were kept under control using traps that worked very well. The beetles are pretty well finished for this year and I was wondering if it may have been a few stragglers hanging around? I am very careful about what I use on my trees and feed them only organic mixtures that I make. Almost all my trees are coming into full bloom and they will be going into the house again where I maybe can keep a better eye on them. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?
    Thanks

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome. You should have no problem finding information for your lemon tree if you use the botanical name, Citrus limon. It must be a tree of some size for it to produce that much fruit. How big is it? Do you house your trees in large greenhouse? I would think 15 trees would require a fair amount of space.

4. Darby

Darby New Member

Thanks for the reply Jungle keeper. I don't think it is all that big being about 7' high and about 4' wide. I don't prune it all that much. They do get almost daily care however and I keep them in a large atrium facing South with 14' ceilings in the winter. I do make sure that they are misted almost everyday in the winter mostly for humidity purposes. As well I keep each pot stocked with earthworms that are fed weekly to help with the drainage and fertilizing.
    You are right about room which I find I am running out of and a greenhouse is in the plans. I have a Ponderosa Lemon fast catching up on my Limon in size.
    I do take pride in my organic fertilizer I make, just making sure no visitors come by for 24 hours afterwards :)

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You're lucky to have so much space for your hobby. I'm surprised you maintain earthworm colonies in your containers. How big are your containers? Do the worms not cause undue disturbance to the root systems?

6. Darby

Darby New Member

I have to agree, I am lucky to have a large area for the trees. I am thinking of moving to B.C. and no doubt they will come with me. It would be hard to give them up at this point and time. I suppose it was like an old girlfriend telling me my dog had to start sleeping outside because of his hair. needless to say I still have the dog...
    The pot for the Limon is about 30" high and 2' wide made out of clay. I try and keep them all in clay so they can breath and the plastic pots seem to heat up a fair bit in the summer outside. I never noticed any problem so far with the worms. I get the odd escapee in the winter I find dried up on the floor.