Identification: Big Orange Ohio Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by tspuckler, Aug 18, 2013.

1. tspuckler

tspuckler Active Member

I've been seeing orange lobster mushrooms and a lot of orange chicken of the woods, but this large cluster, growing on a neighbor's front lawn, really caught my eye. Anybody know what it is? They might have been 6-7 inches across for each of the larger ones.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Greetings,

I've been hoping someone in your region will reply to this ID request.

These are not mushrooms familiar to me, but I'm wondering if they could be Omphalotus, growing on buried wood.
    There's a suggestion of pale spores in this photo, but the colour of the spores would help, if you are inspired to do a spore print of one of the caps.

cheers,
    frog

3. tspuckler

tspuckler Active Member

Hmmmm, I did a little reading on that and apparently the gills on that mushroom glow in the dark! It was growing on a front lawn in the neighborhood, so I'll have to see if it's still there.

In the meantime, do you know what his is? The first one I saw I thought was old Pheasantback Mushroom, but now I'm thinking maybe not. I ordered a mushroom ID book from the library to try to get a better handle on IDs.

Tim

Attached Files: